1 - 6 of 6 Posts

xmelissaa

My Greek friend is getting married early next year but I still haven't received an invitation. Is this normal in Greek Culture? Because I know that in the states some people send them out year in advance or something like that

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great question!

I have not heard of a set time, the thought is the earlier the better, however during the pandemic I have heard of numerous Greek weddings in the US and Greece getting postponed several times so this is why they might be waiting to send out the wedding invitation.

Reactions: cubrinj

ellinasgolfer0320

2-3 months is the norm in Greece. They don't send save-the-dates either. If your friend is in Greece, then it is possible that he/she doesn't know that wedding invitations are sent out several months in advance in some countries outside of Greece.

Reactions: cubrinj

cubrinj

I was invited to a Greek wedding once just two months before. It was a casual wedding and we were only invited to the church so it really wasn't a problem

cubrinj

I was invited to a Greek wedding once just two months before. It was a casual wedding and we were only invited to the church so it really wasn't a problem
We were already staying in Greece at the time so we didn't need to make plans in advance or anything. I guess that's the issue, if you're not living in Greece you will probably need to plan far in advance for your travel plans

k_tsoukalas

In Greece, the mindset often is to invite everyone they know, and invites trickle in gradually. Weddings can be quite the party in Greece. Same thing as in the United States, but the difference is that there's a set process to follow in the United States, but in Greece it isn't like that. If someone told you loosely six months ago who is from Greece that the wedding is happening, it's almost like you can consider that your invitation.

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Resources for Orthodox Christian Religious Fasting?

This past year, I have started taking fasting a lot more seriously. I used to just fast off and on during lent, but I have since learned that fasting is a constant thing. One thing I have noticed is that I struggle a bit to find food to eat, or to know what to do. This is a resource that I find helpful - I am curious if you guys know of anything that can help me:

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?

Greek Wedding Traditions for Weddings in Greece?

I am in research mode. My wedding is next year and I feel like I am behind. I am not Greek or an Orthodox Christian, but I love Greece and the culture. Are there any traditions that it might be fun if I incorporate into the ceremony or the celebrations? I am not sure where to start!

Learning About Greek Orthodox Religion

I am of Dominican descent and my husband and I had an Orthodox wedding, but I didn't convert. I want to learn about the religion more to better connect with him and his side of the family ... what types of things should I look at? I found this link online and found it informative. How should I learn about Greek Orthodox?

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter