1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nm1999

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

ellinasgolfer0320

Is the wedding in Greece? If so, then there is no dress code, it's anything goes - men will be in jeans and a polo/dress shirt, khakis and a polo/dress shirt, most will not have dress shoes on, and kids might be in shorts. Most men will probably have on some khakis and a dress shirt. The bride and groom's dad may have on a suit. If I had to give you a dress code then it's "cocktail" at most. Women tend to wear cocktail attire. The reason your date isn't helping is because he/she doesn't know because the wedding couple doesn't tell people a dress code because it's considered rude.. It's almost like saying "I don't trust you to dress well enough for my wedding, so here is what you're going to wear so you don't embarrass me".

If the wedding is outside of Greece in the USA, then there will typically be a dress code on the card... I'd wear a suit and tie.

I won't talk to other countries because I don't know wedding dress codes there.

Reactions: mj_toronto8

mj_toronto8

I suggest cocktail attire as well...but it all depends on if you prefer to be overdressed or underdressed. You can play it safe and overdress (suit and tie) or if you don't mind, you could also wear a dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes. The time of the wedding and location may also give you a hint to how formal or informal it is. If the wedding is outside it will definitely be more casual.

k_tsoukalas

I would wear cocktail attire, as well. It is much better to be overdressed than underdressed, as people perceive dressing well as a sign of respect. I'd rather be the only dressed up one in the room than the only casually dressed one. So, when I have no idea what to ear to a wedding, I default to wearing a standard cocktail dress, no matter the situation (unless the dress code is specified on the invitation - it often is). So, double check the invitation and if the dress code isn't on it, my vote is cocktail attire.

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?

Finding a Wedding Planner in Greece?

I decided to do a destination wedding in Greece. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I am not an Orthodox Christian but have decided on the Athens area because I think there are some great photo opportunities all over the city and it is a bit more accessible. Anyway, I know I need help getting everything organized. How does one go about finding a wedding planner in Greece who can help?

Translating a few lines from English to Greek

Can anyone possibly help me translate a few lines into Greek? I used to be able to read and write Greek when I was a child, but these days I can barely read at all.

I have a few lines of Greek dialogue in a book I'm writing, and even though Google Translate does a reasonable job of translating English to Greek, from what I can make out, the translation doesn't look correct in the way a normal Greek would casually say the words - the translation just looks a little too formal. Could someone possibly take a look for me - it would only take a few minutes to read through the 3 - 4 lines?

Thanks

How do you choose a name day?

I am wondering how you guys all choose a name day to celebrate. For example, I have a friend named John, and there are multiple saints that have that name. He said he chose the saint that resonated the most with him. I have another friend, also named John, who celebrated a different one because that is the one that the parents had selected. How do you know what the right choice is?

Learning about Greek Orthodoxy - resources?

I am on an active process to learn more about Greek Orthodoxy - it has been my project for the past year. I am having a hard time tracking down resources. Does anyone have an y books to recommend?

I have read so far:

Thinking Orthodox - Eugenia Constantinou

Orthodox Study Bible

Welcome to the Orthodox Church - Frederica Matthews Green

Thanks!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube