1 - 4 of 4 Posts

nm1999

I'm going to a Greek wedding this summer as someone's plus one, and I really have no idea how to dress for the wedding. My date isn't really giving me a lot of advice, and she doesn't usually go to a lot of Greek weddings herself, so I'm a bit clueless. If anyone could give me advice on how formal Greek weddings usually are, I would really appreciate it.

ellinasgolfer0320

Is the wedding in Greece? If so, then there is no dress code, it's anything goes - men will be in jeans and a polo/dress shirt, khakis and a polo/dress shirt, most will not have dress shoes on, and kids might be in shorts. Most men will probably have on some khakis and a dress shirt. The bride and groom's dad may have on a suit. If I had to give you a dress code then it's "cocktail" at most. Women tend to wear cocktail attire. The reason your date isn't helping is because he/she doesn't know because the wedding couple doesn't tell people a dress code because it's considered rude.. It's almost like saying "I don't trust you to dress well enough for my wedding, so here is what you're going to wear so you don't embarrass me".

If the wedding is outside of Greece in the USA, then there will typically be a dress code on the card... I'd wear a suit and tie.

I won't talk to other countries because I don't know wedding dress codes there.

Reactions: mj_toronto8

mj_toronto8

I suggest cocktail attire as well...but it all depends on if you prefer to be overdressed or underdressed. You can play it safe and overdress (suit and tie) or if you don't mind, you could also wear a dress shirt, slacks, and dress shoes. The time of the wedding and location may also give you a hint to how formal or informal it is. If the wedding is outside it will definitely be more casual.

k_tsoukalas

I would wear cocktail attire, as well. It is much better to be overdressed than underdressed, as people perceive dressing well as a sign of respect. I'd rather be the only dressed up one in the room than the only casually dressed one. So, when I have no idea what to ear to a wedding, I default to wearing a standard cocktail dress, no matter the situation (unless the dress code is specified on the invitation - it often is). So, double check the invitation and if the dress code isn't on it, my vote is cocktail attire.

Greek-American Thanksgiving Traditions?

My husband's Greek-American family celebrates Thanksgiving even though a lot of them are from Greece. They have a traditional Turkey meal with mashed potatoes, gravy, roasted squash, etc. I did notice that they also can't help themselves and regularly serve Greek dishes on the table like pastitsio and spanakopita. They also make these ground beef, rice, and chestnut dish they call "Greek stuffing". I am curious - what do you guys all do for a Greek-American Thanksgiving?

Greek Table Etiquette?

I haven't really thought of this, but there is a lot of etiquette for dining in the Greek culture. What do you guys think? It looks like there is a lot to think about:

In particular, the section on doing toasts was fascinating. I noticed that just about at every meal, someone is doing a toast. Do you guys have anything to add?

Learning About Greek Orthodox Religion

I am of Dominican descent and my husband and I had an Orthodox wedding, but I didn't convert. I want to learn about the religion more to better connect with him and his side of the family ... what types of things should I look at? I found this link online and found it informative. How should I learn about Greek Orthodox?

Greek Wedding Traditions for Weddings in Greece?

I am in research mode. My wedding is next year and I feel like I am behind. I am not Greek or an Orthodox Christian, but I love Greece and the culture. Are there any traditions that it might be fun if I incorporate into the ceremony or the celebrations? I am not sure where to start!
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter