1 - 3 of 3 Posts
I love Greek lemon potatoes - it is one of my favorite sides. I thought I would share my recipe!

I toss all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then spread them on a baking sheet (that I have sprayed with cooking spray) in a single layer and bake on 350 Fahrenheit until golden brown, which will take about 45 minutes.

Ladolemono - (whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped)
2 pounds potatoes, peel and cut into wedges

Reactions: Laura48

Laura48

I love Greek lemon potatoes - it is one of my favorite sides. I thought I would share my recipe!

I toss all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl and then spread them on a baking sheet (that I have sprayed with cooking spray) in a single layer and bake on 350 Fahrenheit until golden brown, which will take about 45 minutes.

Ladolemono - (whisk together 1/2 cup olive oil, 1/3 cup lemon juice, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, and 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped)
Sounds gorgeous. I usually just drizzle my potatoes with lemon live oil, but this sounds more punchy.

k_tsoukalas

This is very similar to how I make mine, but I don't tend to put garlic in my recipe because it gives me heartburn sometimes. I actually use shallots instead.

Greek Thanksgiving "Stuffing" Recipe?

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I am trying to track down a recipe. I had a Greek friend verbally describe what this is, but I need a recipe to follow if someone can help me out. His family recipe involves:
  • Onion
  • Ground beef
  • Rice
  • Water or broth
  • All spice, cinnamon, oregano (I thought he said oregano but I am not 100%)
  • Roasted chestnuts
I think maybe I can guess that the onion is sautéed, the ground beef needs to be browned, the rice is stirred in and water or broth is added, and the chestnuts are roasted separately and stirred in at the end?

Thanks for your help! I am learning that Greek cooks have most of their recipes in their brains.

Can You Think of Any Greek Dishes with Mushrooms?

So, I am still learning my way around Greek cuisine. I love mushrooms and I have yet to find any Greek dishes that include mushrooms. I know that they are found in Greece and you can buy mushrooms in the markets. I saw a segment on TV (I don't remember where) about a mushroom farmer in Greece, and I know people regularly forage for mushrooms in the wild.

What do people in Greece usually do with these mushrooms? I can't really find much online. Do people substitute it for meat? Cook it with meat? Put them in salads?

Favorite Greek winter desserts or cookies?

I love to bake in the winter and now with Christmas coming up, the urge is even stronger. I do plan to make melamakarona and baklava but I want to try one other thing. Maybe something like a spice cookie? I recently had something that was like a kouoloraki but it had a different texture and used a lot of spices. Does anyone know what that is? It's spiced with clove, cinnamon, maybe something else too.

Lemon Potatoes Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon potatoes is one of my all time favorite Greek dishes. I love the way the lemon tastes with potatoes, and it tends to pair well with just about every main course I could serve, but most especially poultry or seafood. Basically, if I've seasoned the meat I am serving with lemon, I tend to prefer these potatoes over other ways to prepare potatoes. The lemon also lightens up the dish, and the whole meal pairs well with salad or other vegetable side dishes. It's also easy to put together. I try to use fresh lemons because that elevates the dish to another level.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

greek-lemon-potatoes-recipe.jpg

Briam Greek Roasted Vegetables Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorites elements of Greek cooking is the wealth of hearty vegetable dishes, and this Briam recipe is an absolute classic. It is filled with flavor, and you can either serve this as a side dish or a meal when served with feta cheese and bread. The Cooking Greek cookbook has a great version of it and has a classic combination of ingredients, like eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes. It's an easy dish to put together and I like to make a big pan of it and eat it over the course of a few days.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

briam-recipe.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube