1 - 2 of 2 Posts

acamp7

I've been stocking up on phyllo from the Greek supermarket for quite some time… about six months in the freezer. How long will it stay fresh for? And when will I need to use it by? If anyone has advice I would really appreciate it.

k_tsoukalas

There are shortages, I don't blame you for stocking up. I've kept Phyllo in the freezer for up to a year!

Greek dessert recommendations

Greece has some of the best desserts! You can find anything from French, Italian and Greek pastries at most bakeries and pastry shops. If you’re traveling there, I suggest you try a selection of some of the most popular and loved sweets. In my personal opinion, the best desserts you can get are profiterol, mille-feuille, baklava, pagotinia (little ice creams), and ekmek kadaifi. I personally like desserts with cream that are a little less sweet. You can find many desserts that have syrup (siropiasta) but they all have the same feel to baklava, so I suggest trying that first.

43089506-B613-4FA2-99B0-F69A11FB80DC.jpeg

Famous Konstantinople yogurt kebab

This kebab is famous in Greece for its flavor and its roots in Konstantinople. It’s marinated in spices and tomatoes and then topped with a dollop of yogurt. It’s also usually served with pita bread and grilled veggies. It’s the best!

91467344-C233-4A2B-BA78-F90DF90268E1.jpeg

Seasoned goat wrapped in parchment paper

This dish is phenomenal! The goat is seasoned with thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt, and pepper and wrapped in parchment paper to keep all of the juices and seasoning inside the meat. I am not sure what the red berries are, but they didn’t have a very strong flavor. Of course, it is served with potatoes that are crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. I finished the mail off with a great baklava. Cheers my friends!!

93E11D4A-A89C-425B-B7CD-47036AF5A91D.jpeg

Have you ever tried shrimp dolmadakia?

Shrimp dolmadakia are a lesser known dish that is made locally in the Ionian islands. The flavor is very similar to those made with beef since they both use tomato sauce and aromatic herbs. The only difference is that there is a strong seafood taste, as they are cooked in a seafood broth. These ones here are made in an abstract shape and topped with lemon sauce. It’s a super unique dish that I definitely recommend you try if you ever see these on the menu.

5FD88351-B1D5-4DE5-97E8-A4BBE3992EF0.jpeg

My Favorite Greek Street Food for Summer

One of the things I love about Greece is all the street food. I have my favorites, what are yours? Here are mine:

1. Gyros
2. Loukoumades
3. Kouloura
4. Bougatsa
5. Chestnuts

I am not always in Greece for chestnut season, but when I am, it's a real treat! Which street foods do you love?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter