1 - 10 of 10 Posts

dpappas87

I'm planning on taking a day trip from Thessaloniki to Meteora but I'm scared I'm going to be exhausted for the drive back. How long does it take to walk up?

Meteora-720x478.jpg

Reactions: nm1999

francescool

When I climbed it took me about 45 minutes

nm1999

It took me about an hour but it can take longer depending on how many breaks you take. I recommend you don't go during the middle of the day when the sun is at its highest point. It will be way too hot and you will get dehydrated

nik_ma

Meteora is an amazing place; I would say it that it is not very well known to foreigners as it is not close to the most famous sea-side destinations. Enjoy:

Fetk

I don’t recommend seeing all the monastery in one day . go early in the morning depending on the ones you visit they are not long to walk up some are very quick from main Entrance. My family is from there and we go every year to see them.

Fetk

I don’t recommend seeing all the monastery in one day . go early in the morning depending on the ones you visit they are not long to walk up some are very quick from main Entrance. My family is from there and we go every year to see them.
Also one day is not enough to visit all monestary and then drive back to Thessaloniki .

dpappas87

Also one day is not enough to visit all monestary and then drive back to Thessaloniki .
What do you suggest? Are there any hotels near the monastery to stay for two days?

Look for
What do you suggest? Are there any hotels near the monastery to stay for two days?
Look for hotels in Kalambaka, it's a xorio at the base. You can also find airbnb's there.

Reactions: francescool

francescool

k_tsoukalas

There's a lot to see here. I agree that you should stay more than one day, or at least overnight, so you can don't get too exhausted for the drive back.

What neighborhoods do you recommend that I visit in Thessaloniki?

I’m only planning on going to Thessaloniki for a couple of days so I’m wondering what would be the best neighborhoods to visit. Personally, I’m not looking for anything super touristy. I like to go out to eat and shop around, and usually go back to my hotel around 10pm, so not much nightlife for me. Let me know what you all think!!

What do people like about Thessaloniki?

I love these videos so much because I get great insight into what locals actually like about different cities. In my opinion, there's so much to like about Thessaloniki. I really love how the city has so much culture, and you can see how the influence of different empires has impacted the cities architecture. Would you agree with some of what I said in the video? Or do you have a different perspective? Let me know!

Try bougatsa, Thessalonikis best breakfast food

Thessaloniki has one of the most popular breakfast foods in Greece! Bougatsa is a custard filled phyllo pastry with cinnamon and powdered sugar on top. The pastry is from Thessaloniki but is eaten in most regions in Northern Greece and you can find it in other areas of Greece as well.
5A083FCF-5DEE-4139-8EFD-3B8BB9E9853E.jpeg

You should rent a bike to tour Thessaloniki!

Many people don't think to rent a bike to see the city, but I think it's one of the best things you can do since Thessaloniki is right on the water and you will get some amazing views. Unlike different cities nearby, like Kavala, Thessaloniki doesn't have that many hills and is very easy to get around on the bike. I just recommend that you're careful of drivers, as Greek drivers can be a bit aggressive on the road. When I last visited, it was a few years back so I don't remember which bike rental company we used. So if anyone recommendations please drop them below.

Have you heard about the Macedonian Museum of Contemporary Art in Thessaloniki?

This museum is lesser known but I've heard amazing things from friends who have visited! There is a very interesting exhibit that is currently being put on titled "Visualizing humanity." It is the first project by the Network of Contemporary Culture Museums of the Hellenic Ministry of Culture and Sports. I really would love to visit this exhibit since it showcases the phases of life and culture, mainly inspired by important moments in Greek history. There are four "chapters" in the exhibition, my favorite concept (whiteout seeing it of course) is Feels Like Home. :)
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter