1 - 5 of 5 Posts

dpappas87

I am trying to decide how long to be in Athens. I have some people to visit, I want to do some of the city walks (Lycabettus, Philopappou), and I also want to visit some of the sites. I have visited most of the sites in the past, so I am not going to go too crazy here. My goal for Greece is to relax, visit people, making go to a beach of two. I am thinking of picking a good island with beaches and spending maybe 5 nights at this island, and then possibly spending the rest of the time in Athens. I am trying to decide if I will spend 3 weeks or more in Greece this summer. I think two weeks in Athens sounds like a lot, but on the other hand, I love to just pick one or two spots and really enjoy them during my time in Greece, rather than travel all around and get exhausted. What do you think?

Vangelis

I'm biased. I spend months in Athens. So 2 weeks in Athens is fine. Lots of amazing suburbs to visit and lots of events on. Theatre, music, open air cinemas, restaurants, etc, etc. You will always have something to do. Check out the Epidavros festival for amazing events around Athens.

Reactions: dpappas87

dpappas87

I'm biased. I spend months in Athens. So 2 weeks in Athens is fine. Lots of amazing suburbs to visit and lots of events on. Theatre, music, open air cinemas, restaurants, etc, etc. You will always have something to do. Check out the Epidavros festival for amazing events around Athens.
I think two weeks would work, too, but I know what you mean. When staying longer you can go at a much more relaxed pace and still see a lot.

k_tsoukalas

Administrator
I agree, if you have a lot you want to do there, two weeks is more than enough. When staying with people, too, some of your days may be spent just spending time with people in their homes and your an have a nice balance between visiting with people and going out and seeing the sites.

Marina K

Taking it slow on vacations is the meaning! Running from place to place is not! You spend valuable time on transfers and you are missing a lot. I think one week in an island and another week or two in Athens is a good decision. Besides Athens having Athens as its base is smart because you can do a lot of day trips ans explore more! In any case, enjoy your holidays in Greece!

Visit the Cyclades Islands - Information and Tips?

I am thinking of visiting some of the Cyclades islands this summer. I've, of course, already done Santorini and Mykonos. I want to do something a bit different.

I am thinking of the following:

- Tinos
- Naxos
- Milos
- Paros

I have some questions:

- When is the best time to visit? I am thinking of going in September.
- Should I ferry hop? That's probably the best way, right?
- How do I figure out where to stay? I love Airbnb - is that an option in Greece?

Thanks in advance!

Possible Island Day Trips from Piraeus?

I am going to spend about a week in the Piraeus area accompanying someone on business. I want to amuse myself and thought I would do a couple of island day trips. What do you think, are these possibilities truly doable?

1. Aegina – Aegina is the closest island to Piraeus, making it the most popular and an easy day trip destination. Step back in time and explore the ancient temple of Aphaia, wander around the charming port, and sample delicious pistachios, common on the island.

2. Hydra – This island seems so interesting to me. With its strict preservation laws that prohibit cars and motorbikes, the island is an idyllic haven of serenity and peacefulness.

3. Poros – The island of Poros, separated from the Peloponnese only by a narrow strait, is a popular destination for both tourists and Athenians. Its relaxed atmosphere, dense pine forests, and picturesque town are the main draws. Walk up to the beautiful Lemonodasos (Lemon Forest), go for a swim in one of Poros’s secluded bays, and drop into any of the waterside tavernas for fresh seafood and a traditional Greek coffee.

4. Spetses – Spetses may not be as well known as its Saronic neighbors, but that does not mean it lacks charm. It is a beautiful island with crystal clear waters and stunning beaches. I was thinking of renting a bike and cycle to the lighthouse for the magnificent sunset views or stop by the old port and take a romantic horse-drawn carriage ride.

5. Mykonos – The cosmopolitan island of Mykonos is the furthest away from Piraeus but definitely worth the longer ferry ride for a day trip. This one seems a stretch but I am willing to entertain it...

Parnassos Ski Resort in Greece

Believe it or not, I find skiing in Greece to be pleasant. I know Greece isn't thought to have a climate good enough for skiing, but it's good enough. I have to go to Greece soon, and this is one of my favorite places to ski:

The resort offers outstanding skiing opportunities for all skill levels, from beginners to advanced skiers. With over 40 kilometers of marked ski slopes, Parnassos Ski Resort is equipped with the newest and most advanced skiing equipment to ensure that customers enjoy an unforgettable experience.

There is also a place to stay here, which is nice, plus activities other than skiing to please the family.

Beaches on Agistri or Spetses?

I am thinking of visiting some of the islands that are fairly close to Athens/Piraeus.

Two of them that you don't hear much about - like Agistri and Spetses - but I heard that they are worth it to visit, especially for the beaches, especially for Agistri.

Which do you prefer?

I have heard about some beaches on Agistri, but not sure what is available in Spetses.

Here are the beaches I heard about in Agistri:

- Aponissos beach - The beach's calm, crystalline waters and soft golden sands offer a perfect respite for swimmers and sunbathers. Surrounded by greenery and rock formations, the charming cove provides a breathtaking backdrop for a day by the sea.

- Skala Beach - he beach is lined with beach chairs and umbrellas available to rent, as well as a variety of water sports to try. The village behind the beach is packed with tavernas, bars, and shops, offering an array of dining and entertainment options for your holiday.

What do you guys think?

skala-beach.jpg

Last-minute travel tips in Greece

I love to travel to Greece and I do so whenever I can. There's an art to it, though, and I am never really going into it "blind". It's a good idea to start by thinking generally about where you might want to go.

Athens is usually the starting point for most travelers, with its iconic Acropolis offering panoramic views and a history lesson all in one spot. If you're a beach lover, head towards the Cyclades for stunning beaches and the classic, postcard-worthy Santorini sunsets. Or, if it's history you're after, the ruins of Delphi or the ancient city of Mycenae will surely captivate you.

Then, we need to figure out how to get where we want to go. For island hopping, the ferries are an experience in themselves – though if you're time-strapped, consider a local flight to get you to the major islands quickly. On the mainland, a mix of car rentals and public transport can be efficient and economical, especially when visiting sites off the tourist map. Keep an eye on the schedules and book in advance if possible to save time.

Sometimes I rent a car, to be honest it's the easiest for me.

The rest of the details tend to sort themselves out. For example, you can book your lodging as you go along, especially off-peak.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT