1 - 3 of 3 Posts

greggd12

As some of you may know, ancient Greek is taught in all public schools throughout Greece. Although, many people aren't actually able to speak modern Greek and communicate between each other because it is a dead language, similar to Latin. Greek people are taught how to write ancient Greek and they learn how modern Greek is derived from ancient Greek. As you can see in the video, many people don't actually remember much of it and it has actually been criticized that it is not so valuable as some educators may think. What are your thoughts?

Stathi

I think elements of ancient Greek are alive in modern Greek on some of the Greek islands and in isolated villages on the main land and Peleponnisos. And, in certain communities of Magna Grecia, in Scilly, Southern Italy and even coastal Mediterrean France. I was so suprised and delighted to hear ancient Greek verb forms spoken by some of the villagers of the island of Rhodes, Greece. I remember thinking, What? What am I hearing? I asked a friend who taught ancient Greek in Middle School and also a friend who is an archiologist. And, they said, yes, it is ancient. Modern Greek is more related to Ancient Greek then Italian, Spanish, French and Romanian are related to Latin. I say to Greeks every where on the planet, Yes, we do not speak Ancient Greek any more and have not for hundreds of years, but we can be amazed that ancient Greek is still vital, in stead of poo pooing it.

Reactions: d_kakavouli

d_kakavouli

I think elements of ancient Greek are alive in modern Greek on some of the Greek islands and in isolated villages on the main land and Peleponnisos. And, in certain communities of Magna Grecia, in Scilly, Southern Italy and even coastal Mediterrean France. I was so suprised and delighted to hear ancient Greek verb forms spoken by some of the villagers of the island of Rhodes, Greece. I remember thinking, What? What am I hearing? I asked a friend who taught ancient Greek in Middle School and also a friend who is an archiologist. And, they said, yes, it is ancient. Modern Greek is more related to Ancient Greek then Italian, Spanish, French and Romanian are related to Latin. I say to Greeks every where on the planet, Yes, we do not speak Ancient Greek any more and have not for hundreds of years, but we can be amazed that ancient Greek is still vital, in stead of poo pooing it.
I have never heard of this!! How cool that there are people who still speak some parts of Ancient Greek. I would love to hear it spoken some day if I were to visit some of these villages some day.

What do you think of the movie Alexander?

I've seen many different opinions of this movie, most of them debating its historical accuracy and the actors portrayal of these characters. I am very curious to see what everyone else thinks. Personally I am happy to see that Alexander the great story made it to the big screen, and with such great and famous actors. But I would love to see a little bit more history and culture in the movie.

Can you pass this Greek geography quiz?

I'm so curious to see how much everyone knows about Greek geography. Personally, I know very little so it's super interesting to see how actual Greeks did with these questions.

What is the difference between the Roman and Byzantine empire?

This is something that has always confused me. I've seen people use the words Roman and Byzantine interchangeably, but I'm pretty sure that the Roman empire was led by the Italians, and the Byzantine empire by the Greeks/Romans. Does anyone see my confusion here? And is someone able to clarify?

The most famous byzantine style buildings!

Byzantine architecture is one of the hallmarks of Greek buildings, especially churches and holy sites. Some of the most famous Byzantine style buildings include the Hagia Sophia (of course), Hagia Irene, Cathedral Church of Agia Sophia of Thessalonica, and the Monastery of Saint John the Theologian. These buildings have striking Byzantine architecture with beautiful domes on top and ornate designs inside. I can't wait to visit one day.

New archaeological museum maps history of western Crete .

Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter