1 - 6 of 6 Posts

francescool

As many of you may know, the average price of a gyro has been increasing slightly over the last few years. I haven't been to Greece in quite some time, so I'm wondering what the average price is these days. Does it vary from island to island and place to place? Or is it pretty stable? A gyro is my staple food in Greece, so I'll be eating very many throughout my next trip. Thanks everyone!

ellinasgolfer0320

€2.50 before the high inflation. The government just increased prices to €4.50 back in March if I recall correctly.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

€2.50 before the high inflation. The government just increased prices to €4.50 back in March if I recall correctly.
Woah that's pretty pricey for Greece but personally, I can afford it. Much cheaper than a low cost meal in many places around the world. I imagine that many locals struggle to afford it though. What a shame.

ellinasgolfer0320

Woah that's pretty pricey for Greece but personally, I can afford it. Much cheaper than a low cost meal in many places around the world. I imagine that many locals struggle to afford it though. What a shame.
It's very expensive given that the average Greek makes €600, euros a month and the cost of living (ignoring housing) is about the same as the USA.

Reactions: cubrinj

cubrinj

It's very expensive given that the average Greek makes €600, euros a month and the cost of living (ignoring housing) is about the same as the USA.
Yes, Greek people can't keep up with the prices

k_tsoukalas

The last time I went to Greece was a few years ago and I recall it cost maybe 3 Euro? I bet they're more now!

Favorite Greek winter desserts or cookies?

I love to bake in the winter and now with Christmas coming up, the urge is even stronger. I do plan to make melamakarona and baklava but I want to try one other thing. Maybe something like a spice cookie? I recently had something that was like a kouoloraki but it had a different texture and used a lot of spices. Does anyone know what that is? It's spiced with clove, cinnamon, maybe something else too.

Tiropita Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Making tiropita at home is fun and a lot easier than it may seem - especially when doing it in a 9 x 13 pan. Although I have used different combinations of cheeses, the version I like the best includes imported feta and then a soft cheese like anthotyro if I can find it, cottage cheese if I can't. I live in the United States and there is a Greek store near me that has that cheese, but I find that cottage cheese is just as good. This recipe is light and flaky and makes a great appetizer, snack, light meal (when served with soup or salad) and I've even had it for breakfast!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

tiropita-recipe.jpg

Thinking about street food in Athens ...

I am planning a girls trip to Athens and there is a woman we are traveling with who absolutely LOVES exploring street food. So, I told her I would ask you guys for recommendations. I know to watch out for gyros, souvlaki, pita, street corn, chestnuts (I know the corn and chestnuts are seasonal and I don't quite know when we are visiting yet. It's a big group and a lot of moving parts lol).

I am looking for not only what to look out for in terms of food, but also if you have recommendations as to a location where they have the best. Thank you in advance!

Lemon Potatoes Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon potatoes is one of my all time favorite Greek dishes. I love the way the lemon tastes with potatoes, and it tends to pair well with just about every main course I could serve, but most especially poultry or seafood. Basically, if I've seasoned the meat I am serving with lemon, I tend to prefer these potatoes over other ways to prepare potatoes. The lemon also lightens up the dish, and the whole meal pairs well with salad or other vegetable side dishes. It's also easy to put together. I try to use fresh lemons because that elevates the dish to another level.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

greek-lemon-potatoes-recipe.jpg

Anyone have a good koulouri recipe?

Is making koulouri a simple matter of making a regular bread dough and then forming it into rings? I loooove koulouri when I go to Greece, and I am unfortunately not always able to get to Greece. I need a way to make this at home.

I love the type with the sesame seeds, and I also love the sweet ones. How do you make those? Can I make like a tsoureki but form it into instead?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube