1 - 8 of 8 Posts
I know that tipping culture is changing a bit in Europe....how much should I be tipping in Greece?

Xpisto

That is an interesting question, because my cousin n the Netherlands is planning a trip in May of 2022 and would most likely want to know

Cmoore5

I have visited Greece many times. Years ago tipping was not expected. In the last few years I usually tip a couple of euros or for exceptional service 5€ if there are just 2-4 people. It seems arbitrary and depends on the service for which you are tipping. In nicer restaurants or if you have a big group, I would tip 10%. They always seem happy and gracious.

Greeks do not tip a lot. Basically, whatever change you get, you leave for the server, however, we always tip when out, just not as much as in the States.

francescool

Greeks do not tip a lot. Basically, whatever change you get, you leave for the server, however, we always tip when out, just not as much as in the States.
Yeah my friends do exactly that. It's usually a few euros

k_tsoukalas

I find that Greece is similar to most of Europe. I round up a bit. So if the bill came to 18 Euro, I'd like leave a 20 Euro bill and tell them to keep the change. 10% is a good benchmark, too, if you're in doubt. However, rounding up is more than adequate. I try to use cash whenever possible because it's much easier to round up and tell them to keep the change if I just put the money in their hand.

ellinasgolfer0320

Tipping is not required in Greece, but Greeks will sometimes tip 1-2 euro if anything.

Reactions: seleanor

Best trip connections from Phila, Pa to Crete?

Preliminarily planning a belated 50th Anniversary Trip 3 years later from Phila, PA to Crete for late August/ early September and trying to find the "best connections". Length of stay at least 8 - 10 days, depending on the connections. So far I see PHL to ATH is 9 1/2 hours, ATH to Crete is 50 minutes. PHL to London is 6+ hours, London to Crete 5+ hours. While total times are within a couple of hours of each other, also trying to factor in the wear & tear on these ole bods. Will be using American Airline miles so that will restrict carriers. Would appreciate any suggesttions/recommendations from anyone that's made this trek. Thank you in advance!

Tripadvisor: Greek Destinations Among ‘Best of the Best’ Places to Travel in 2023

So there we have it! Greek Destinations amongst the best places travel!....Well for a start they always have been for the last 50 years plus!😂😂....and the funny thing is when they decide Rome has the best culinary experiences!....I nearly fell off my hammock laughing reading this!😂😂...I will never know how they quantify, great PR for us all the same!👍👍.....No Mykonos oh my god what are we going to do?.😂.. Actually Andros, Syros, Milos and Folegandros are the places to visit!

Passport Question

My travel agent here in Australia said that when I travel to Greece my passport must have at least 6 months left before expiry.

This differs from country to country.

Does anyone know if this is a Greek government requirement?

Thanks

Is this a weird itinerary?

I am going to be in Greece about a month this summer and I keep changing my mind about what I will be doing while in the country. This is my itinerary and I am trying to figure out if I can pull it off without things being stressful. Every single thing on the list exists because I have people to visit. Santorini is on the list because of a wedding... I want to try to do all of it but I am not sure about the Santorini piece of it... but since it is a wedding I think I should just make it work.

Anyway, the destinations are: Athens (I have A LOT of people to visit, I will need like two total weeks here), Corinth (one person to visit), Kythira (no one to visit, I just want to go), Santorini (the wedding).

Is this too disjointed? Appreciate your thoughts.

Best Greek Destinations from Athens by Ferry?

Once I arrive in Athens, I won't want to take a flight again until it is time to leave Greece. But, I would love to travel around.

What are the best places to visit in Greece from Athens (Piraeus) but Ferry? I know there are some day trips from Athens (Hydra, Aegina, Kea) but what about some other places? Also, did I miss any other day trips?

I mean, more like islands to visit. I know I can always drive around when I am on the mainland.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube