1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

Herbs are a huge part of Greek cooking, and I always struggle to keep herbs fresh in the fridge. After a few days they always turn wilted and brown and I don't get to use them for my dishes. In Greek cooking, the main herbs that are used are parsley and dill. I've heard of some people using other fresh herbs like sage, but it's not super common in mainland Greek cooking. These tips are super helpful for anyone that is a frequent Greek cook like me!! I hope you enjoy and please feel free to provide any tips that you may have in the comments :)

k_tsoukalas

There are some great tips in the video! I prefer to pick the herbs fresh if I have them in my garden, but that's not always practical.

Advice making a smaller pastitsio

I love pastitsio, but my recipe calls for making it in a huge pan (bigger than a 9 x 13 and I think even bigger than a lasagna pan). Sometimes, I don't want to make that much! I am trying to wrap my mind around how to reduce the portions. I know I could halve the recipe but some of the issue is that I make this dish by feel and don't always follow the recipe to a T.

I really want to make it in an 8 x 8 because this is the perfect amount for dinner with no leftover. Sometimes I don't even want leftovers and just would rather make the food from scratch.

Making Greek Fish Soup with the Heads?

I was just reminiscing in another thread about how my family would use the fish heads (less expensive at the fish market when they were immigrants) to make Greek Fish Soup. I don't remember how my family made it!

I don't remember if they maybe made the broth first, took out what meat the could from the fish, and then added there fish if they could find it?

Has anyone made fish soup using the heads of the fish?

How to make a simple Greek tomato sauce

My family used to make a simple Greek tomato sauce to put over spaghetti. I have no idea if this is "Greek" and something that people do in Greece, but it was simple and had Greek flavors. This is what my family did:

• Sauce together 1 chopped tomato and 2 garlic cloves in some olive oil
  • Add a large can of crushed tomatoes, some pepper, a cinnamon stick, and some dried Greek oregano
  • Bring to a boil, covered, then let it simmer for about 30 minutes
  • Serve over spaghetti with some grated Greek cheese or Romano or Parmesan.

"Greek-Style" Chicken Wings Question...

It is football playoff season and I want to eat wings! I thought I would try to mix it up and create a Greek style wings situation ... so I decided to use ladolemono (oil and lemon with garlic, oregano, salt, pepper, some onion). I marinate the wings in a bag overnight, then actually fired up the grill and cooked them.

They were delicious, but weren't crispy. I actually don't usually make wings, I buy them, so I have no idea how to make wings crispy. Other than that, they tasted amazing and I would do this again.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube