1 - 2 of 2 Posts

kcixcy

Belhamel is a staple sauce in French cooking but it is also used in many Greek recipes. It's so thick and creamy and adds a lot of richness to many different dishes. I've seen people make it many different ways, but the base ingredients are always the same: flour, butter and milk. The higher quality ingredients you use, the better the sauce will be.

k_tsoukalas

This is an easy sauce to make, but a tricky one to get right. this video explains it really well!

Favorite Easy Spanakopita Recipe?

My family loves spanakopita, and I have never made it before. I want to surprise them. Does anyone have a good recipe to share? I was thinking of following this one, but I am not sure:

Mushroom gyros are the best vegan option!

I just stumbled upon a great souvlaki restaurant that had mushrooms instead of meat! It's called Street Souvlaki (Κατάστημα Ακτή Μιαούλη) in Pireas, if you're passing by, definitely check it out. This is a great option for tourists that are vegan. You can also find recipes to make it at home, but it tasted so good that I imagine it might be hard to replicate. Here is a link to one that I think will taste the same.

Have you ever tried Cypriot kolokotes (squash turnovers)

These turnovers are soooo good but a little hard to come by. They are made with squash and cinnamon and sugar. Some variations also have raisins and cloves. It really depends on your taste.

9439B0AD-CD5F-4358-BD7E-4E7EBFCAFD0D.jpeg

How to make Cretan meat cake!

This is super similar to a meat pie or chicken pie. It's a super traditional Cretan recipe that has now spread to different parts of Greece. If you want to try something new or impress your friends you should try it out. I like to get fresh herbs to mix in as well :) Let me know if you like this recipe

Greek dessert recommendations

Greece has some of the best desserts! You can find anything from French, Italian and Greek pastries at most bakeries and pastry shops. If you’re traveling there, I suggest you try a selection of some of the most popular and loved sweets. In my personal opinion, the best desserts you can get are profiterol, mille-feuille, baklava, pagotinia (little ice creams), and ekmek kadaifi. I personally like desserts with cream that are a little less sweet. You can find many desserts that have syrup (siropiasta) but they all have the same feel to baklava, so I suggest trying that first.

43089506-B613-4FA2-99B0-F69A11FB80DC.jpeg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter