1 - 10 of 10 Posts

dimi_pat

This is one of my favorite recipes :) Do any of you know good variations or alternative recipes?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, thanks for sharing!

Here are a few printed versions of the Ekmek Kataifi recipe:

k_tsoukalas

This is one of my favorite Greek desserts, but I don't know how to make it yet. Thanks for sharing these recipes!

Ekmek is not Greek it's Turkish

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

k_tsoukalas

There's a blending of cultures and influences in Greece. I can adopt it as Greek if I desire.
You can but why would you? It's Turkish.

k_tsoukalas

How do you know for sure? Baklava is a Turkish word, as well. It's clearly a Greek dessert!
Baklava is actually a Mongolian word. Baklava is Arabic, and the Turks made it theirs in the mid 1600s

k_tsoukalas

Could I Use Different Greens in My Pita?

The there day, I tried to follow a spanakopita recipe that I actually shared here, and I ran out of spinach! So, I actually ran down to the store to get some. However, I had kale on hand, and I wondered the whole time I was driving if I should have just used the kale. I didn't need much more spinach - just a few handfuls.

What do you think? What would you have done? I already mixed the filling otherwise I would have just put everything in a smaller pan.

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Tiropitakia Recipe Just Like the Street Food?

I had a delicious tiropitakia recently in Athens on the street and it was sooo good - better than other versions I have had. First of all, the phyllo was so crispy I don't know how they do it! It was also bigger than other ones I have had. When I make them at home I think I will make them bigger.

My question is, how did they get it so crispy? I always use butter but something was different about this. Could they be using a different type of butter? Are they mixing the butter with olive oil?

Then, there is a question of the cheeses. It wasn't Feta - it was creamier. They maybe put a little Feta in it, but the mixture was a lot creamier than I've had. What cheese could be responsible for this? It kind of had a mild, creamy goat cheese type of flavor. I also thought I tasted a touch of nutmeg.... I never thought of that.

Any thoughts you have on how I can recreate this are appreciated!

Greek Grilled Corn Recipe to Try

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.

Interesting Greek Dishes to Cook

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter