1 - 10 of 10 Posts

dimi_pat

This is one of my favorite recipes :) Do any of you know good variations or alternative recipes?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, thanks for sharing!

Here are a few printed versions of the Ekmek Kataifi recipe:

k_tsoukalas

This is one of my favorite Greek desserts, but I don't know how to make it yet. Thanks for sharing these recipes!

Ekmek is not Greek it's Turkish

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

k_tsoukalas

There's a blending of cultures and influences in Greece. I can adopt it as Greek if I desire.
You can but why would you? It's Turkish.

k_tsoukalas

How do you know for sure? Baklava is a Turkish word, as well. It's clearly a Greek dessert!
Baklava is actually a Mongolian word. Baklava is Arabic, and the Turks made it theirs in the mid 1600s

k_tsoukalas

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Greek American Thanksgiving Rice/ Hamburg Dish?

My family makes this dish and I am trying to recreate it and maybe even try something different... I know it might take me a while to nail down my technique before Thanksgiving, and I will even want to do at least one test run.

As far as I can tell this is basically the technique:

Sauce one chopped onion
Brown the hamburg
Add salt, pepper, and spices (I think my family uses allspice?)
Stir in the rice
Add water
Cook it.
Stir in roasted chestnuts.

As you can see, I don't know amounts or timing. Can someone help me recreate it?

Do you have tips for working with phyllo?

I have been experimenting with Greek cooking for a few years now and I didn't have the guts to start trying to work with phyllo until recently - I tried to make baklava. I had all kinds of problems and I am hoping you guys have some tips to help me get the hang of it better. Here's a list of the issues I had:

1. Sheets were stuck together in the package
2. The phyllo started to dry out as I assembled the recipe
3. My pan was shorter than each sheet and I didn't know what to do with the exces

I don't know, am I doing something wrong?

Is Melomakarona and Finikia the Same Thing?

I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

Greek Grilled Corn Recipe to Try

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter