1 - 10 of 10 Posts

dimi_pat

This is one of my favorite recipes :) Do any of you know good variations or alternative recipes?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great video, thanks for sharing!

Here are a few printed versions of the Ekmek Kataifi recipe:

k_tsoukalas

This is one of my favorite Greek desserts, but I don't know how to make it yet. Thanks for sharing these recipes!

Ekmek is not Greek it's Turkish

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

k_tsoukalas

There's a blending of cultures and influences in Greece. I can adopt it as Greek if I desire.
You can but why would you? It's Turkish.

k_tsoukalas

How do you know for sure? Baklava is a Turkish word, as well. It's clearly a Greek dessert!
Baklava is actually a Mongolian word. Baklava is Arabic, and the Turks made it theirs in the mid 1600s

k_tsoukalas

Good Greek Recipes for Fall

Summer is (sadly) behind us and now I am starting to experiment with some foods that seem more appropriate for this time of year. Since I am getting more comfortable working with phyllo I thought I would try pita with squash. I found this recipe a little bit ago:

Thought I would also try to make this:

I tend to like heavier food at this time of year.

Does anyone else have any suggestions of dishes I should try?

Is Melomakarona and Finikia the Same Thing?

I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Gluten Free Moussaka?

I am going to a dinner party where the hostess is gluten free. I thought I would try making this and bring it to her house. What do you guys think of it?

I have made regular moussaka with gluten, so I think I will be okay with this (I am kind of new at cooking Greek food).

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter