1 - 2 of 2 Posts

efhernandez_

Making frozen yogurt ice cream is such a good way to indulge in a healthy dessert. You can make this with an ice cream maker if you want, but you don't actually need one. I don't have one myself, so I love making this at home in the summertime. It's much lower in calories and compared to regular ice cream and it's much healthier for you. Depending on your needs, you can add less sugar. Whenever I make this for my brother I add honey because he has diabetes.

This looks delicious! Thank you for sharing. Such a great, lower calorie treat for the summer. Looks easy to make, too.

Different Types of Feta Cheese?

Whenever I buy feta cheese from different places, it tastes slightly different. Does anyone know why? I know that there are specific rules for creating feta cheese, so what is responsible for his differential in flavor and texture?

Is it possible that a place (for example a restaurant) may not actually be buying "Greek" feta? Meaning, could it be a situation where they aren't following the rules and are making a feta-like cheese using different milks, etc? Perhaps it isn't from Greece?

I truly only like Greek feta as far as I know. How can the other places call it feta if they're not following the rules?

greek-feta-cheese.jpg

What are your favorite vegetarian foods in Greek cooking?

Greek cooking is renowned for its \use of fresh herbs, vegetables, and grains, making it a paradise for those who prefer plant-based meals. Yet, when we think of Greek cuisine, dishes like gyros and souvlaki often take the spotlight. But there's so much more to Greek food than meat-centric dishes, and I'm on a quest to discover your favorite vegetarian delights that Greece has to offer!

From the creamy delicacies such as fava and tzatziki to hearty mains like gemista (stuffed tomatoes and peppers) and spanakopita (spinach pie), I'm eager to learn about the dishes you've fallen in love with. Perhaps you have a cherished recipe passed down through generations, a memorable meal from a trip to Greece, or even a favorite Greek vegetarian dish you've mastered at home.

Feel free to share your thoughts! My personal favorites are lentil soup, spanakorizo, and tzatziki (but this isn't a vegan choice)... I know some vegetarians can have dairy.

Thanks in advance!

Bougatsa Recipe to Try

I went to Greece and loved the Bougatsa I used to buy on the street. I thought I would share a recipe I found. I have never made it before. Does this look like the real deal? I don't want to dive in, only to realize the recipe was flawed from the beginning.

Ingredients​

For the Custard:​

• 4 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup fine semolina
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • Zest of 1 lemon (optional)

For the Assembly:​

• 1 package (about 1 pound) phyllo dough, thawed
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
  • Ground cinnamon, for dusting

Instructions​

Preparing the Custard:​

1. In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and half the sugar over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together the remaining sugar and semolina. Add the eggs and whisk until the mixture is smooth and pale.
  3. Gradually temper the egg mixture by adding a cup of the warm milk while whisking constantly. Then, slowly pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk, whisking continuously.
  4. Cook the mixture over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens and coats the back of the spoon (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from heat, stir in the vanilla extract and lemon zest (if using), and set aside to cool slightly. Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the custard to prevent a skin from forming.

Preparing the Phyllo:​

1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
  2. Carefully unroll the phyllo dough. Cover the sheets with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
  3. Lay one sheet of phyllo in the prepared dish and brush with melted butter. Repeat this process, layering and buttering each sheet until you have used about half of the phyllo.
  4. Pour the custard over the phyllo layers, spreading evenly.

Assembly and Baking:​

1. Continue layering and buttering the remaining phyllo sheets on top of the custard.
  2. Using a sharp knife, score the top layers of phyllo into pieces – this will make cutting the bougatsa easier after baking.
  3. Bake for 45-50 minutes, or until the phyllo is golden brown and crisp.
  4. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.
  5. Before serving, sift generously with confectioners' sugar and sprinkle with cinnamon to taste.

Favorite Greek Seafood?

I love Greek cuisine! I have learned that it many regions in Greece, seafood is a big part of the culinary traditions.

This got me thinking, and I'm curious to know—what's your favorite Greek seafood dish? Do you also have a favorite fish that you like to eat?

I'm eager to hear about your experiences and preferences!

Thanks in advance ...

What do you eat for breakfast?

I have been wondering what traditional Greeks eat for breakfast. I am a bit Americanized in my habits, but I noticed I am constantly not very hungry in the morning.

From what I've gathered, a traditional Greek breakfast might not be as globally recognized as the full English breakfast or the American pancakes and bacon, but it's definitely a feast worth exploring. I'm curious, does anyone here know what a traditional Greek breakfast consists of?

From the initial research, it seems that fresh ingredients play a big role, with items like Greek yogurt, honey, fresh fruit, and nuts being quite common. There's also mention of various types of bread and pastries, such as the famous Spanakopita (spinach pie) and Tyropita (cheese pie). However, I believe there's more to discover and learn from personal experiences or detailed insights.

Do any of you have Greek heritage or have been to Greece and experienced a traditional Greek breakfast firsthand?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back