1 - 4 of 4 Posts

xmelissaa

These are the ingredients that you will need to make Greek lenten fish roe salad!
  • 6 -7 slices of stale bread with no crust (use gluten-free bread if following a gluten-free diet)
  • 7 ounces of salted fish roe
  • 2 tablespoons of grated onion
  • 1 1/2 cups Greek olive oil
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice

n a food processor, add the Roe, onion and 1/3 of the oil and turn on for a few seconds. Continue to slowly add the bread a little at a time on low. Once the bread, add the rest of the oil slowly. Once all the oil has been mixed in, add the lemon juice slowly. The lemon juice is a matter of taste, add it slowly to achieve the desired flavor. Put in a bowl and garnish with olives and scallions. For those that are fasting, this recipe contains olive oil, so this recipe won’t be suited for a strict fast.

fishroe.jpg

Starfall

Thanks!!! I've been searching for this recipe for a long time.

Reactions: knicks_fan87

Starfall

What do you think about adding caviar into this salad? Would it be delicious? My dad told me that adding caviar in almost any salad makes it magnificent. My dad has a pretty weird taste, so I wanna try it on my own. I think not every type of caviar is suitable with salads, but I've recently got some Kaluga caviar and its taste is very special. I've searched a lot of info about it and found on https://pearlsofcaviar.com that it has a delicate flavor and gonna be popular soon. Need to find some recipes with it tho...

Last edited:
Reactions: knicks_fan87

knicks_fan87

What do you think about adding caviar into this salad? Would it be delicious?
It will taste delicious! You can use any type of fish roe

How to make béchamel sauce! You can put this in anything

Bechamel sauce is a French sauce that is commonly used in Greek dishes like pastitsio, moussaka and papoutsakia. It is a rich, creamy sauce that pairs really well with ground meat sauce and pasta. You can use it for traditional Greek dishes, French dishes or even make up your own dish. One time when I had extra béchamel, I made some pasta and used it as a sauce with some sprinkled cheese. It was sooo good!

This is how taramasalata is made!

Taramosalata is one of those dips that's a bit mystifying. Many people really don't know what's in it (caviar and bread mostly) but we all know that it tastes amazing! There are varying qualities, and depending on how expensive or local the taramasalata is, its going to have different consistencies and taste. I like to go with your standard Krinos taramasalata that I get at the Greek supermarket but you can even make your own if you want a much fresher taste.

How do you preserve your family recipes?

One of the most cherished things in my household is my mom's binder of old recipes preserved in clear plastic film. My mom has kept all of our family recipes in the original form which is old paper that is yellowing and in my grandmas handwriting. Because I am paranoid, I have taken pictures of all of the recipes and taken pictures of each recipe and uploaded them to the cloud so that I have a backup in case the binder gets lost. I urge everyone to write all of their family recipes down if you don't have them already!!

These are the best frozen spanakopita brands

Frozen and store bought spanakopita has been a staple in my house especially recently during covid when I have been stressed and not in the mood to cook. The best brands you can find are Greek brands, which are 7 Days, Athens and Krinos.

Other brands that are not authentic but probably easier to find are spanakopita at Whole Foods or Trader Joes. The ingredients are high quality and the taste is there! I just prefer supporting Greek businesses so whenever I can, I will buy from a Greek grocery store.

Please add your favorite brands in the comments!

These are the best loose leaf Greek herbal teas

Herbal teas can have many positive medicinal and health benefits, especially when dranken on a daily basis. Usually I like to buy loose tea, meaning the tea is not already in tea bags. This means that they are fresh and higher quality. Bagged teas tend to be more processed. Some of the best Greek herbal teas include...

1. Sage tea (this is the best for stomach problems)
2. Moutain tea (the most traditional Greek tea)
3. Fennel tea
4. Rosemary tea and oregano tea (I have never tried these personally but I have heard a lot about them and they have many health benefits)
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter