1 - 5 of 5 Posts

xmelissaa

These are the ingredients that you will need to make Greek lenten fish roe salad!
  • 6 -7 slices of stale bread with no crust (use gluten-free bread if following a gluten-free diet)
  • 7 ounces of salted fish roe
  • 2 tablespoons of grated onion
  • 1 1/2 cups Greek olive oil
  • 1/3 cup lemon juice

n a food processor, add the Roe, onion and 1/3 of the oil and turn on for a few seconds. Continue to slowly add the bread a little at a time on low. Once the bread, add the rest of the oil slowly. Once all the oil has been mixed in, add the lemon juice slowly. The lemon juice is a matter of taste, add it slowly to achieve the desired flavor. Put in a bowl and garnish with olives and scallions. For those that are fasting, this recipe contains olive oil, so this recipe won’t be suited for a strict fast.

fishroe.jpg

Starfall

Thanks!!! I've been searching for this recipe for a long time.

Reactions: knicks_fan87

Starfall

What do you think about adding caviar into this salad? Would it be delicious? My dad told me that adding caviar in almost any salad makes it magnificent. My dad has a pretty weird taste, so I wanna try it on my own. I think not every type of caviar is suitable with salads, but I've recently got some Kaluga caviar and its taste is very special. I've searched a lot of info about it and found on https://pearlsofcaviar.com that it has a delicate flavor and gonna be popular soon. Need to find some recipes with it tho...

Last edited:
Reactions: knicks_fan87

knicks_fan87

What do you think about adding caviar into this salad? Would it be delicious?
It will taste delicious! You can use any type of fish roe

k_tsoukalas

This tastes great with any caviar you can find - might be different types available depending on where you live.

Is it possible to grow olives outside of Greece?

This is for all of the users that have a green thumb.... I've always wanted to grow olives in my backyard, but part of me thinks that they will never taste as good as the ones that I get from Greece. Is it even worth trying? For a little bit of context, I live in Montreal where the summers are warm but the winters are pretty cold and snowy. Has anyone tried this out themselves?

How to choose a fresh fish at the fish market!

Choosing a fresh fish is going to be key for your dish and for your health. I don't usually go to the fish market when I'm home, but when I'm on vacation, and especially in Greece, I love going to the market to get fresh fish from local fishermen. If you don't know how to pick fresh fish, here is a great tutorial on how!

How to make juicy Greek style lamb burgers!

This is one of my own creations that is so tasty! I'm not really the type to measure, so please take my advice with a grain of salt and use whatever measurements you feel comfortable with or that you find online. I like to make my lamb burgers with lean ground lamb meat. I find that lamb meat is pretty fatty and stays moist and doesn't need to have a high percentage of fat. I season the meat with salt, pepper, oregano, and rosemary. As an extra plus, I like to stuff the burgers with feta cheese or halloumi. The key here is not to overcook them because the meat will dry up and so will the cheese. For toppings, you can pretty much add whatever you like, I like sautéed onions and red peppers.

How to make a classic Greek village (horiatiki) salad

This village salad is probably one of the most popular salads in Greece. Many Greeks will start their lunches and dinners with the salad and it is considered to be very healthy, especially when you use local ingredients. All you need to do is chop up the following ingredients and toss it in a salad bowl.

- 3 tomatoes
-Half a red onion
-Half a green pepper
-1 block feta cheese
-2 large spoonfuls of olives
-2 large spoonfuls of olive oil
-2 teaspoons of oregano
-1 teaspoon of salt

Soft and tender Greek lamb shank

I love making this tender lamb shank anytime I have a special occasion. While you can cook lamb shake in many different ways, I like to go sit in the oven just until the outside gets a nice darker color and some of the fat renders off. Of course, you should always serve this with either rice or potatos.

B72401EC-7AB7-44FB-8A89-6D27D4EBC3EC.jpeg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter