1 - 6 of 6 Posts

kosta_karapinotis

For this recipe, you will need: 1 onion, chopped, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 pounds ground meat (lamb, pork, beef or a mixture), 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper. Gather these ingredients and have a great gyro night at home with your family and friends!

Processes onion in a food processor, add the garlic and pulse for ten seconds. Add the meat, oregano, salt, and pepper and pulse until all the ingredients are combined. Form the mixture into a the shape of a loaf. I like to make min in the oven, but if you have a rotisserie machine then by all means go ahead and make it there! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the gyro mixture and place in the center of the oven. Bake until cooked all the way through. This should take 40-45 minutes depending on the oven.

Add your favorite toppings and place the meat on a pita with tzatziki and you have a great tasting gyro!

Homemade-Gyro-Meat-720x478.jpg

Lyneth

For this recipe, you will need: 1 onion, chopped, 2 cloves garlic, minced, 2 pounds ground meat (lamb, pork, beef or a mixture), 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper. Gather these ingredients and have a great gyro night at home with your family and friends!

Processes onion in a food processor, add the garlic and pulse for ten seconds. Add the meat, oregano, salt, and pepper and pulse until all the ingredients are combined. Form the mixture into a the shape of a loaf. I like to make min in the oven, but if you have a rotisserie machine then by all means go ahead and make it there! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the gyro mixture and place in the center of the oven. Bake until cooked all the way through. This should take 40-45 minutes depending on the oven.

Add your favorite toppings and place the meat on a pita with tzatziki and you have a great tasting gyro!

View attachment 764
Kosta, that sounds really good & I am going to try it. I am a little confused though, as I have always eaten gyros (pork or chicken), which are usually thin slivers of the meat, not mince. Will this cut like gyros meat?

Reactions: efhernandez_

efhernandez_

Kosta, that sounds really good & I am going to try it. I am a little confused though, as I have always eaten gyros (pork or chicken), which are usually thin slivers of the meat, not mince. Will this cut like gyros meat?
It sounds like it will be more like the gyro meat that you get in the fast food places. I've made gyro at home like this and the texture is not the exact same but the flavour is there!

Maxium112

View attachment 764

Maxium112

I do mine in the slow cooker. works great!

k_tsoukalas

This looks great! When doing gyros like this, the texture isn't quite the same as the store bought stuff, but the flavor is there. Also, I like to do it at home so I can control the amount of salt and the sources of meat that go in.

How to make refreshing mussels saganaki for the summer

Mussels might seem like an intimidating dish to cook, but they're actually pretty easy. I like to get fresh mussels from a fishmonger or a grocery store when they are available. I make sure to clean them really well on the outside to get all of the sand out, and I boil them once until they open and quickly rinse them so any sand inside will escape. After that, I follow this recipe and they come out perfect!

How to make a creamy Greek chicken pasta!

This recipe is perfect for a big family with kids who are picky eaters! You can make this pasta in only 15 minutes, which is the best part! If im cooking it for adults, I always like to add a bit more vegetables since my kids don't really like veggies. You can always choose fresh artichokes or canned, but canned is definitely much faster. Let me know what you think of this recipe!

Pasteli is a wonderful sweet snack

Pasteli is one of the best snacks that you can keep in your bag when youre on the go! Its made of sesame seeds and honey and is super healthy. You can think of it as the Greek version of granola bars. The recipe is super simple, and if you'd like to make it I have attached some recipes below. 😀

How to make a refreshing watermelon drink for the summer!

Now that it's heating up, I thought it would be very helpful for everyone in the World Wide Greeks community to make a watermelon drink for the summer! Whether you are going to be in Greece or in your home country, you can still make this drink. I must say though, that the water melons in Greece can't be beat! The recipe is very simple, and doesn't require much preparation. Here it is...

-Cut up 1 whole watermelon and blend in a blender in batches
-If the mixture is very thick, you can add water to your liking so that it is more like a juice rather than a smoothie
-if you like, you can add many different flavour variations like mint, orange juice, or lemon. I prefer mint :)
-Strain to remove seeds
-Add ice and serve!

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter