1 - 3 of 3 Posts

knicks_fan87

This is one of my favorite dishes, make sure to cook it low and slow so that you get the meat super tender. Firs you will need to drizzle the olive oil into a frying pan and set the heat to medium. Add the meat and brown fully on both sides. This should take about 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to a plate, drizzle with salt and pepper, and cover the meat lightly with aluminum foil.

With the heat set to medium-low, add the garlic, cloves, and onions and stir. Saute until the onions are translucent. This should take about 5-6 minutes. Add the bay leaf and tomatoes and saute for another 2 minutes, stirring a few times as the tomatoes cook. Stir in the water and wine and tomato paste mixture.

Add the meat, cover, and set the heat to medium-high. Let the mixture come to a boil and then reduce it to a simmer. Cook for about an hour and a half or until the meat gets very tender.

• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 1/2 cup dry red wine
  • 1/2 cup Greek olive oil
  • 2 1/2 pounds beef for stewing, cut into six pieces
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 3 whole cloves
  • 2 medium onions, diced
  • 1 whole bay leaf
  • 2 medium tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 9 cups water

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing your recipe!

Here are a few other versions as well:

This looks so delicious! I just want to ad that my family seasons the tomato sauce with cinnamon and I personally like to serve this with orzo.

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

Greek Vegetable Casserole Recipe (Briam)

Now that it is lent, I will be making this a lot. I bring it to lenten potlucks at my church and I make it all the time at home. Here's a recipe I use - I do change up the vegetables sometimes depending on what I can find. I might omit eggplant, for example, and I would replace it with two additional zucchini.

Ingredients:​

• 2 medium zucchinis, sliced
  • 2 eggplants, sliced
  • 4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
  • 1 large red onion, sliced
  • 1 bell pepper (any color), sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced or 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tbsp oregano, dried
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled (optional)

Instructions:​

1. Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and lightly oil a large baking dish.
  2. Prepare the vegetables: Slice the zucchinis, eggplants, potatoes, onions, and bell peppers into even pieces. If using fresh tomatoes, slice them as well; otherwise, have your can of diced tomatoes ready.
  3. Layer the vegetables in the dish: Start with a layer of potatoes at the bottom, followed by eggplants, zucchinis, onions, bell peppers, and tomatoes. Sprinkle each layer with minced garlic, oregano, salt, and pepper. Repeat the layering process until all the vegetables are used.
  4. Season and oil: Once all the vegetables are layered, drizzle them with olive oil and add a final sprinkle of salt, pepper, and dried oregano. For a touch of freshness, add the chopped parsley over the top.
  5. Bake: Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in the preheated oven for about 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized on the edges.

How to Make Greek Yogurt at Home?

I have a yogurt machine and have been making yogurt with varying degrees of success. I decided I wanted to try making Greek yogurt! Now what? Some questions:

• What kind of milk should I use?
  • What starter should I use?
  • Do I have to strain it?
I can't think of anything else to ask. I am also thinking of calling the yogurt machine company and asking them...

greek-yogurt.jpg

Learning about Greek honey

As part of my Lenten journey, I am replacing sugar with honey whenever I can. Sugar is overdone and feels like an indulgence. I read somewhere that honey is acceptable even during strict fasts, so I thought I'd get to know it a bit more.

Could anyone share insights or personal experiences on:

Traditional Greek Dishes Featuring Honey: Which are the standout dishes where honey plays a pivotal role?
I use honey with Greek yogurt and a bunch of desserts. Having desserts doesn't feel right during Lent, but the yogurt with honey sounds good?

Pairing Honey with Other Ingredients: Are there specific ingredients or types of honey that best complement certain Greek foods?
I love it with lemon in tea, but that's all I can think of.

Cooking Tips with Honey: Any tips on cooking with honey? Perhaps, how to balance its sweetness or how to choose the right honey for savory dishes versus desserts?
Does it lose its sweetness if it gets too hot? I tried to use it instead of sugar the other day in something I was making (bread) and I couldn't taste the honey.

Personal Favorite Recipes: Do you have any personal honey-infused recipes passed down or discovered that you’re willing to share?

greek-honey.jpg

Strict Lenten Fast Greek Salad

I have to prepare a salad for a lenten meal at church. Most people aren't super picky about it, as long as there are vegetables present.

Last time I prepared a salad, someone saw there was oil in the dressing and wouldn't touch the salad! So, I looked it up - and oil isn't allowed during lent for a strict fast. I had no idea.

How do I compose a salad for a crowd that caters to the strict fast?

I am thinking to make the salad and just use vegetables, nothing else.

Then, I can offer a regular dressing choice, and then also maybe just lemon wedges or some vinegar for the stricter fasters? Do you guys think that would work?
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back