1 - 2 of 2 Posts

nadellii

One of Greece's most classic dishes is chicken with lemon and potatoes in the oven. The chicken is cooked slowly and tenderly until its crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. The recipe is simple, you need to start with one whole chicken and 10 potatoes. Season both the chicken and the cut and peeled potatoes with salt, pepper, oregano and then add olive oil, lemon and chopped garlic. It's really that simple. Then bake at 375 degrees F until the chicken is cooked!

Do you know how much lemon should I put? I have tried to do this, but I either put too much or too little lemon and I don't know how to tell.

What foods do you like to eat in Greece?

I thought I would make a list of all the foods I love eating in Greece. What are your favorites? Here's my list:
  • Saganaki - love this hot cheese dish!
  • Octopus (grilled) - I can't seen to find the good stuff outside of Greece.
  • Horta - love the mix of greens they use in Greece.
  • Fasolakia - the fresh ingredients make this stunning
  • Gyro - I love gyros in Greece the best
What do you love to eat in Greece?

Easy Dakos Recipe

I went to Crete and I loved Dakos so much I learned how to make it. Here's my recipe. It just makes one. A tip - find the freshest ingredients possible!
  • 1 barley rusk (Cretan dakos rusks)
  • 1 large ripe tomatoes, grated or very finely chopped
  • 50g feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup crumbled)
  • Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
  • Fresh oregano or thyme, finely chopped
  • Olives and capers, to garnish
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions​

1. Briefly soaking the barley rusk in water. They should be moistened but not soggy. Shake off any excess water and place each rusk on a serving plate.
  2. Spoon the grated tomatoes over the rusk, ensuring it is well covered. The juice from the tomatoes will further soften the rusks and add flavor.
  3. Top the tomatoes with the crumbled feta. You don't really have to measure, even though I gave an amount. Put what you want!
  4. Drizzle a generous amount of extra virgin olive oil over the top. Sprinkle with fresh oregano or thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Garnish with olives and capers.
  5. Allow the Dakos to sit for a few minutes before serving to enable the flavors to meld together beautifully. Serve as a refreshing appetizer or a light meal.

Greek Lenten Foods?

Lent is coming up. I find myself planning for fasting... I tend to cut out meat and dairy, and then I obey a strict fast during Holy Week.

I would like recommendations on Greek lenten foods. I'm particularly interested in dishes that are traditionally consumed during this period, which abstain from meat and dairy products. I'd love to learn not just about the types of dishes but also a bit about the significance or history behind them if you happen to know.

Any recipes, cooking tips, or even restaurant suggestions where I can find authentic Greek lenten dishes would be greatly appreciated. I’m excited to broaden my culinary horizons and perhaps incorporate some of these traditions into my own practices.

Planning a "Greek" Garden - Tips?

Nothing tastes better than vegetables, fruits, herbs, et cetera that have come straight from the earth to the plate. The only way to really have full control is to grow a lot of food on my own. I am sure this is one of the reasons why food tastes so good in Greece.

It's time to start planning my garden because before I know it, I will need to start planting. And, I might want to start some things from seed. I know realistically I won't be able to grow 100% of my produce, but I would at least like to contribute.

What should I plant?

Priority are tomatoes. I would also like to grow some lettuce and other things. Bell peppers. For herbs, oregano, basil, dill, parsley, mint. Maybe cucumbers and squash? Was thinking maybe to grow strawberries and some other fruits - but fruit seems a lot tricker.

What do you guys think?

What are your favorite vegetarian foods in Greek cooking?

Greek cooking is renowned for its \use of fresh herbs, vegetables, and grains, making it a paradise for those who prefer plant-based meals. Yet, when we think of Greek cuisine, dishes like gyros and souvlaki often take the spotlight. But there's so much more to Greek food than meat-centric dishes, and I'm on a quest to discover your favorite vegetarian delights that Greece has to offer!

From the creamy delicacies such as fava and tzatziki to hearty mains like gemista (stuffed tomatoes and peppers) and spanakopita (spinach pie), I'm eager to learn about the dishes you've fallen in love with. Perhaps you have a cherished recipe passed down through generations, a memorable meal from a trip to Greece, or even a favorite Greek vegetarian dish you've mastered at home.

Feel free to share your thoughts! My personal favorites are lentil soup, spanakorizo, and tzatziki (but this isn't a vegan choice)... I know some vegetarians can have dairy.

Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back