1 - 1 of 1 Posts

toniiv

Chicken pilaf it's not so common in Greece, but it's very very popular amongst my family. My grandma always used to make it when I was younger, and I have now passed down this recipe to my entire family. First you must cook the chicken and onions and garlic. After the chicken is about halfway cooked, add as much rice as you like, and two parts water. I add two spoonfuls of tomato paste and some chicken bouillon for extra flavor. At the end, I season with salt and pepper to taste. The recipe is pretty simple, and unfortunately we don't use any measurements! Sorry folks!

Mastic ice cream is the best dessert for summer

Greek mastic ice cream is one of the best summer desserts. It has such a unique flavor, and is made from traditional Greek ingredients. You can usually find this ice cream packaged in a grocery store, from a Greek pastry store, and some people even make it at home. If you would like to try to, here are some recipes that you can use.

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!

How to make the best french fries!

Even though they were popularized in the United States, french fries are a staple of Greek cuisine. The Greeks do them much better than anyone else! Greek french fries are thick cut, and always made fresh to order. We don't use frozen fries and we always fry them in high quality oil. Here is how to make the best Greek fries

How to make homemade Greek yogurt

This process is straight out of a Greek village! Fresh Greek yogurt is so wonderful, and tastes nothing like what you get at the grocery store. The flavor is so rich, and the texture is so creamy. If you have the time and resources, I really suggest that you try this out.

How to make homemade Greek sausages

Greek sausages are fresh and fragrant. You can make these sausages out of any type of ground meat, but the most traditional way is ground pork. I like to use chicken for breakfast sausages but pork for when I'm having a barbecue with guests over. I like to get fresh ground meat from the butcher, with about 15-20% of fat. The more fat, the juicer the sausages will be. Keep in mind that if you're using a leaner cut of meat, you will want to keep an eye on the cook time so that they don't dry out. Here is my favorite recipe. It's in Greek but I use a google translate add on to understand it.

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter