1 - 2 of 2 Posts

redsoxdw_

Remember that koboloi you were gifted but never got around to using? That's probably because you don't actually know how to use it! A koboloi is a traditional Greek way to pass the time, fidget, and count your "worries." It is most commonly used by older Greek men, but pretty much anyone can have a koboloi. And if you're wondering, this is a great tutorial on how to use it.

k_tsoukalas

This is so cool! I have a bunch of these but I never really knew the right way to wear them.

My favorite Greek love poem!

Greek poetry is some of the best around the world! I've been reading it for years, and this poem still stands to be one of my favorites. Let me know what you think, and of course share your favourites in the forum :)

Ode to Aphrodite:

Aphrodite, subtle of soul and deathless,
Daughter of God, weaver of wiles, I pray thee
Neither with care, dread Mistress, nor with anguish,
Slay thou my spirit!

But in pity hasten, come now if ever
From afar of old when my voice implored thee,
Thou hast deigned to listen, leaving the golden
House of thy father

With thy chariot yoked; and with doves that drew thee,
Fair and fleet around the dark earth from heaven,
Dipping vibrant wings down he azure distance,
Through the mid-ether;

Very swift they came; and thou, gracious Vision,
Leaned with face that smiled in immortal beauty,
Leaned to me and asked, "What misfortune threatened?
Why I had called thee?"

"What my frenzied heart craved in utter yearning,
Whom its wild desire would persuade to passion?
What disdainful charms, madly worshipped, slight thee?
Who wrongs thee, Sappho?"

"She that fain would fly, she shall quickly follow,
She that now rejects, yet with gifts shall woo thee,
She that heeds thee not, soon shall love to madness,
Love thee, the loth one!"

Come to me now thus, Goddess, and release me
From distress and pain; and all my distracted
Heart would seek, do thou, once again fulfilling,
Still be my ally!

Here is the link https://www.sacred-texts.com/cla/pos/pos08.htm

What are your favorite wedding favors?

Traditional Greek weddings usually give wedding favors called koufeta, which are traditional chocolate candies. Nowadays, many people will skip the koufeta and have additional and more modern favors. I have seen small pots of honey or a small bottle of ouzo, which I thought was really nice. What are some Greek wedding favors that you have seen and that you have liked?

What is considered taboo in Greek culture?

Every culture has their taboos and stuff that isn't really talked about or normalized. I am wondering what is considered taboo in Greece, and what I should avoid bringing up, or maybe only bring up with caution. Or if there's anything that I should avoid doing because I don't wanna offend anyone. Thank you so much, your advice is very much appreciated. I think it's very important to know these things before travelling to any country!

What are the most in demand jobs for Greek speakers?

I would love to leverage my Greek speaking ability in the job market and see where my skills can be most valuable in the future. I am still in school now, so I am not looking for a job quite yet but I am just curious what everyone else's experience has been. Is Greek a useful language to know outside of Greece?

What is your favorite Greek song? 🎶

Please post your favourite Greek songs! I'm trying to listen to more and more international music, and I would love to hear some recommendations. My personal favourite is To Tango Tis Nefelis.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter