1 - 5 of 5 Posts

seleanor

This is something I always wondered... how were Greek myths preserved and kept the same through so many years? I wonder if the myths were changed over the years and if they actually have remained the same as they were when they first created in Ancient Times.

k_tsoukalas

On some level, they were handed down through the generations through oral storytelling. Other than that, we have a few surviving works written by the ancients, such as the works of Homer, who write the Iliad and the Odyssey.

Raymond Gorgone

In order to truly understand how ancient myth was transmitted through the ages, I believe we need to first understand the true origins of myth. I've dedicated many years researching a novel approach to developing such an understanding. Check out my three-part video presentation at geographicalimagesofthegods.org and let me know if it helps answer your questions.

Reactions: seleanor

seleanor

In order to truly understand how ancient myth was transmitted through the ages, I believe we need to first understand the true origins of myth. I've dedicated many years researching a novel approach to developing such an understanding. Check out my three-part video presentation at geographicalimagesofthegods.org and let me know if it helps answer your questions.
Great research, thanks for sharing!

amygdalE

This is something I always wondered... how were Greek myths preserved and kept the same through so many years? I wonder if the myths were changed over the years and if they actually have remained the same as they were when they first created in Ancient Times.
You have a valid question; however, there is a fact that must be considered about the ancient Greek myths. My view: Most of them are not the historically original myths. After a myth was created and became known to others, some other Greeks -- in different places and/or times -- modified them or elaborated them or combined some with other myths: they were not statically maintained or transmitted. A pristine/original myth involved the PERSONIFICATION of some natural or historical event, wherefore all myths are anthropomorphic rather than accounts and explanations of natural events [which we call scientific accounts]. Ouranos was the visible sky as well as the sky-god, with superhuman knowledge, will, etc. All myths are imaginative/invented accounts. They reach the height of Hesiod's Theogony (the Geneology of the gods). // The Hebrew Bible is basically a Geneology of Man, an *Athropogony, which starts with two different myths of the creation of humans, the Elohim [=the Gods, the two supreme Gods, one male and the other female] in Genesis-1 and Yahweh in Genesis-2 -- both euphemistically translated into Greek as "Theos", which eventually made all Christians monotheists and enemies of mythological traditions. [........]

Last edited:

Did you know that Greek mythology has a princess of Thessaly?

Thessaly is the region in central Greece that exist today, but many don't know that in Greek mythology, there is a princess of Thessaly. Her name is Koronis and she was known for being extremely beautiful. She was actually so beautiful that Apollo fell in love with her and seduced her when he was in Thessaly. They made love and she became pregnant, and when Apollo left the island he left a white dove to care for her in his absence.

Did you know that you can book Greek mythology vacation packages?

I can't believe this even exists! But I'm so glad it does. This website offers vacation packages that are based on Greek mythology. If you've always wanted to go to famous places in Greek mythology, you definitely need to look into this. I've only been to a few locations on this list, but I definitely recommend Athens, Mount Olympus and Delphi for those that are interested in travelling through history and time while in Greece.

These are the Argonauts ⚔️

The Argonauts are the lesser known heroes! They were a group of heroes who followed Jason to retrieve the golden fleece. According to the myth, there was about 90 of these warriors, who were pivotal in achieving the dangerous conquest of the fleas. The argonauts were named after Jasons ship, the Argos, which they used on their journey.

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

Have you ever wanted to read the Odyssey without reading the Odyssey?

If you're not a big reader like myself, this video is perfect! If you didn't know, the odyssey is one of the most important classical poems in Greece. It is a massive poem that reads like a book. It follows the story of Homer and his escapades throughout different areas of Greece after the Trojan War, specifically Ithaca. Let me know what you think of this summary.

Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter