1 - 1 of 1 Posts
J

John Stefan

Why could Humans never go to the Underworld alive? And if they did would they be allowed back up?

The Current Greek Mythology?

So recently I have been really enjoying watching videos from Professor Fransesca Stavracopoulou and I wanted to share one of my favourite videos on youtube. She is a professor of Hebrew Bible and Ancient Religion at the University of Exeter. She examines the bible from a professional archaeological point of view, showing how many of the bible stories are not historically verifiable or even misrepresent the actual historical accounts. My personal realisation is that the current Greek religion is just another mythology just as the 12 Greek gods were.

An Ancient Magical Spell?

In many parts of the world many people or magicians attempted to avert evil by either using amulets or uttering commanding dispelling words. In my native town (founded by Italic Greeks [Throurioi] in 204 B.C., in southern Italy, as I mentioned before) there is a magical spell , which I learned there before moving to New York, but it is in corrupt Latin form, while the local dialect is a bundle of Greek, corrupt Latin, and corrupt Italian words. Its contents make me suppose that it is a late version of a Greek spell:
"uottu e nove, fore mal'uocchiu" literally = "eight and nine, outside/away [be] the evil eye".
Fore = Latin Fore
Mal'uocchiu = male uocchiu < Lat. Malis/Male + Oculus
8 e 9 mean nothing to me, but I have an hypothesis: those words are an invocation to the 8 Chthonic gods and the 9 Celestial or Olympian gods -- not so classified by Hesiod, but probably by Dorians.
The Celestial gods would be , as in the oldest myths, Ouranos and Gaia, plus, from later myths, Selene or Artemis, Ares, Hermes, Zeus, Aphrodite, Chronos, Helios or the Solar Apollo. The Chthonic [terrestrial and underground] gods would be Hades, Poseidon [of fresh and salty waters], the triple-goddess
Hekate [originally the One Below, Khthonie herself; Hekate Phosphoros in Hades; but also identified with Selene/Artemis], the Chthonic Apollon or [Thessalian] Haplos, and two others: Demeter, the mother of grain vegetation, personified as Kore, and Kore, who after Hades' abduction, was identified with Persephone.
So it seems.

Who are the women of Lemnos?

The story goes that Aphrodite put a curse of the women living in Lemnos making them not want to be with their husbands anymore. Apphrodite believed that the women were not getting what they deserved. What ended up happening is that all of the men go to nearby Thrace to be with the women there. The women of Lemnos become so angry that they kill all of their husbands in one night. It is a tragic and sad story, one that teaches about gender and gender relationships in our society.

Did you know that Greek mythology has a princess of Thessaly?

Thessaly is the region in central Greece that exist today, but many don't know that in Greek mythology, there is a princess of Thessaly. Her name is Koronis and she was known for being extremely beautiful. She was actually so beautiful that Apollo fell in love with her and seduced her when he was in Thessaly. They made love and she became pregnant, and when Apollo left the island he left a white dove to care for her in his absence.

How were Greek myths recorded and preserved through history

This is something I always wondered... how were Greek myths preserved and kept the same through so many years? I wonder if the myths were changed over the years and if they actually have remained the same as they were when they first created in Ancient Times.
Share and discuss Greek mythology!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter