1 - 2 of 2 Posts

dimi_pat

I love cities that have beautiful landmarks. Thessaloniki wouldn't be the same without the white tower! I thought I'd share a pic of the place. Please share yours if you have them... it's really a great, iconic place with lots of history.

white-tower-thessaloniki.jpg

This is such a gorgeous photo. I hope to go to Thessaloniki sometime soon so I can enjoy places like this!

Best Photo Opportunities in Thessaloniki?

I am going to visit Thessaloniki soon, and I thought I would make a list of great places to take pics in the city. Here's what I have so far:

The White Tower (Lefkos Pyrgos): Iconic and unmistakable, the White Tower offers panoramic views. It's a great backdrop for a photo.
Ano Poli (Upper Town): This part of the city feels like stepping back in time. With its traditional houses, Byzantine walls, and cobblestone streets, Ano Poli is the place to capture the soul of Thessaloniki.
The Waterfront Promenade: Stretching over 5 kilometers, the promenade is teeming with life and offers diverse photographic opportunities. There's so much here!
Aristotelous Square: The architectural marvels surrounding this spacious square provide a beautiful urban backdrop. The blend of neo-classical buildings with modern life creates a lively setting for street photography.
Rotunda and Galerius Arch (Kamara): Ancient Roman ruins right in the heart of the city offer a unique contrast between old and new. Capture the intricate details of these historic sites, or focus on their interaction with the daily life of locals and tourists alike.
Modiano and Kapani Markets: For those interested in capturing the vibrancy of local life, the bustling markets of Modiano and Kapani are perfect. The array of colors, textures, and candid human moments make every shot dynamic.
Thessaloniki’s Museums and Art Galleries: While the exteriors of these buildings are architecturally beautiful, the real treasures can be found inside. They are perfect for those who love capturing the beauty of art through their lenses.

Can you guys think of anything else?

Good markets to visit in Thessaloniki?

I'm planning a visit to Thessaloniki soon, and I'm really keen on exploring the local markets there. I've heard that the city is rich in history and culture, and I believe that visiting local markets is one of the best ways to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and perhaps find some unique items to bring back home.

Does anyone have recommendations for markets in Thessaloniki that are worth visiting? I'm interested in anything from food markets where I can taste local delicacies, to flea markets where I might find interesting antiques or crafts. Also, if you have any tips on the best days and times to visit, as well as what I might expect in terms of items available and price ranges, that would be incredibly helpful!

Looking forward to your suggestions and thank you in advance for sharing your insights!

What is the nightlife like in Thessaloniki?

How is the nightlife in Thessaloniki? I have friends who are planning a wedding in the area, but they are not originally from Thessaloniki.

I have been, but I only went to one bar while I was there, and I didn't really venture out much. The people in the group love to dance in clubs, and they love to go out. It may also be that they'd be looking for a place to have a bachelor or bachelorette party.

Self Guided Tour of Thessaloniki?

Does anyone know of any resources that will help me give myself a "self guided" tour of Thessaloniki?

I know I can look up all the main places online as I am there. However, I am more interested in finding a narration ahead of time and listening to it while I drive around and see some of the sites. Does such a thing exist?

I am in Thessaloniki for a short time with a group of people who don't like to do "tours" so I have some time to go off by myself for a few hours one of the days.

Walking tours in Thessaloniki?

I'm currently planning a trip to Thessaloniki and I'm eager to explore this city's rich history and vibrant culture on foot. From what I've gathered, walking tours seem like an excellent way to immerse oneself in the local atmosphere and learn about the city's historical significance, its architecture, and of course, its culinary delights.

I'm reaching out to this community to gather recommendations on walking tours in Thessaloniki. I'm particularly interested in tours that offer a deep dive into the city's history, but I would also love to explore its culinary scene and maybe even some hidden gems that are not typically covered in conventional guidebooks.

Do you guys have recommendations? There are a lot of options. I don't know where to start.

Thessaloniki.jpg
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back