1 - 2 of 2 Posts

auroracoor1

I saw a recipe in a Greek cookbook somewhere called "Domatakeftedes" or tomato croquettes. It looked delicious, but I can't find it!

Does anyone know of any good recipes? I love tomatoes, and I had this dish once somewhere and thought it was amazing. From what I understand it's a specialty on Santorini? Thanks for your help!

PemiKanavos

Administrator
Staff member
  • 2pounds cherry tomatoes, ripe
  • 4 sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
  • 2.5 oz of feta, mashed
  • 1 large red onion, grated
  • 1 tbsp of parsley, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp of fresh mint, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 of plain flour
  • 1 tsp Baking Powder
  • salt
  • freshly ground black pepper
  • oil, for frying
Squeeze the tomatoes until the skins have broken. Place them in a colander with some salt. Place over a bowl and leave them for 30 minutes to drain.

In a mixing bowl, add the onions and tomatoes and combine with a spoon. Add the herbs and feta and mix. In a separate bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, some salt and pepper.

Add the dry mixture to the tomato mixture, stirring with a spoon until combined. The dough is ready when firm enough to make the balls - add more flour if needed

Place in a bowl covered in the fridge for 30 minutes, or preferably 2–3 hours, if you can wait!

Pour enough olive oil into a pan to coat the bottom and place over a medium-high heat

Using a spoon, shape the dough into balls or patties. Careful lower them into the hot oil. Repeat this process until the pan is filled but not crowded. Fry the tomatokeftedes for about 2–3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Place on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil.

Enjoy this fabulous Greek recipe, hot or cold, with some tzatziki’s, fresh bread and a sip of ouzo!

Last edited by a moderator:

Thinking about street food in Athens ...

I am planning a girls trip to Athens and there is a woman we are traveling with who absolutely LOVES exploring street food. So, I told her I would ask you guys for recommendations. I know to watch out for gyros, souvlaki, pita, street corn, chestnuts (I know the corn and chestnuts are seasonal and I don't quite know when we are visiting yet. It's a big group and a lot of moving parts lol).

I am looking for not only what to look out for in terms of food, but also if you have recommendations as to a location where they have the best. Thank you in advance!

Tiropita Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Making tiropita at home is fun and a lot easier than it may seem - especially when doing it in a 9 x 13 pan. Although I have used different combinations of cheeses, the version I like the best includes imported feta and then a soft cheese like anthotyro if I can find it, cottage cheese if I can't. I live in the United States and there is a Greek store near me that has that cheese, but I find that cottage cheese is just as good. This recipe is light and flaky and makes a great appetizer, snack, light meal (when served with soup or salad) and I've even had it for breakfast!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

tiropita-recipe.jpg

Briam Greek Roasted Vegetables Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

One of my favorites elements of Greek cooking is the wealth of hearty vegetable dishes, and this Briam recipe is an absolute classic. It is filled with flavor, and you can either serve this as a side dish or a meal when served with feta cheese and bread. The Cooking Greek cookbook has a great version of it and has a classic combination of ingredients, like eggplant, zucchini, and potatoes. It's an easy dish to put together and I like to make a big pan of it and eat it over the course of a few days.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

briam-recipe.jpg

Anyone have a good koulouri recipe?

Is making koulouri a simple matter of making a regular bread dough and then forming it into rings? I loooove koulouri when I go to Greece, and I am unfortunately not always able to get to Greece. I need a way to make this at home.

I love the type with the sesame seeds, and I also love the sweet ones. How do you make those? Can I make like a tsoureki but form it into instead?

Favorite Greek winter desserts or cookies?

I love to bake in the winter and now with Christmas coming up, the urge is even stronger. I do plan to make melamakarona and baklava but I want to try one other thing. Maybe something like a spice cookie? I recently had something that was like a kouoloraki but it had a different texture and used a lot of spices. Does anyone know what that is? It's spiced with clove, cinnamon, maybe something else too.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube