1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

Crete has some of the most beautiful natural beauty in all of Greece!! Imbros Gorge is a trail that almost reaches 8 kilometres and it is a bit easier to hike than Samaria gorge. You can always take a tour if you are unsure about where to go and if you are scared to get lost. Tours are also a great way to learn more about the history of the island and get to know a bit more from the locals. Cretans are very hospitable and love to sit down with you and drink some raki.

k_tsoukalas

Next time I go to Crete, I will need to see Imbros Gorge! I hiked Samaria Gorge and it was memorable, but it was at the expense of seeing Imbros because I didn't have time for both.

Where can I see live traditional Cretan dancing?

I would love to get a taste of the Cretan culture and see some traditional dancing next time that I'm in Crete. Does anyone have recommendations about where would be a good place to see live dancing? I've seen some tourist oriented places in Athens for dancing online that I am planning to visit as well. Thanks in advance! :)

Essentials to See in Crete?

I live in Greece, but am a bit nomadic. I plan to spend an extended period of time on Crete in a rental and I want some advice about what to do while here! I found this link:

I know this site is geared towards tourists, and I am an expat living in Greece so I am not quite a tourist. But, I am a writer and plan to finish something on Crete before I move on.

From that list, is there anything here that you think I absolutely won't want to miss? For me, the time tends to fly and even if I am in a place for a few months, I get swept up in the daily life and don't seem to do as much as I originally planned. I need a plan!

Visit the windmills in Lasithi Crete

These windmills are one of the most unique attractions on the island. They were a great source of sustainable energy, and provided irrigation to water plants in the summer months. There aren't many windmills left, and they currently stand as more of a tourist attraction than an energy source. If you would like to visit, they are located on the north end of the Lasithi plateau.

1656470340077.png

Great Beaches to Visit on the Island of Crete

Crete has some of the best beaches I have ever seen. I thought I'd share this link I found:

I haven't been to Crete in a while, but the next time I go to Greece, I was thinking of spending a few days here. I have only been to a few of these and of the ones I've been to, Balos is my favorite.

Those of you who have been to Crete, what do you think of this list?

Maleviziotikos is a beautiful and energetic Cretan dance!

I have never seen this beautiful Cretan dance live but I'm sure this video does it justice! As you can see, the dance is very energetic and seems to be very celebratory.I can imagine that it takes a lot of cardio and stamina to preform for a long period of time. I would love to know more information about when this dance is used, and what it signifies in the Cretan. I am not Cretan myself, so I am not too sure.

Share and discuss your Crete photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter