1 - 1 of 1 Posts

dpappas87

I recently came across a reference to the "Dorian Invasion" while reading about ancient Greek history, and I'm curious to learn more about this event. From what I understand, it seems to have been a significant period of upheaval, but the details are still a bit unclear to me.

Could anyone provide a detailed explanation or point me toward some reliable resources?

I'd appreciate any insights, book recommendations, or articles that could help me learn about it. Thanks in advance for your help!

Learning about the history of the Olympics

It's an Olympics year so I decided to learn a little bit about it.

Specifically, I'm drawn to its roots in Greece, where it all began. The tales from Olympia, where athletes from city-states across Ancient Greece competed, not just for glory but for the favor of the gods, paint a vivid picture of society's value system and cultural priorities at the time.

Yet, despite the bits and pieces of information I've gathered, I realize there's so much more depth and nuance to understand about how these games influenced, and were influenced by, Greek society and beyond. From the types of events that were held, the athletes who competed, to the very ethos that powered these competitions - each element seems to carry its own story.

Information About the Dorian Invasion

I recently came across a reference to the "Dorian Invasion" while reading about ancient Greek history, and I'm curious to learn more about this event. From what I understand, it seems to have been a significant period of upheaval, but the details are still a bit unclear to me.

Could anyone provide a detailed explanation or point me toward some reliable resources?

I'd appreciate any insights, book recommendations, or articles that could help me learn about it. Thanks in advance for your help!

How did the Marshall Plan affect Greece?

I've recently taken an interest in the post-WWII recovery efforts and came across the Marshall Plan, which was introduced by the United States to aid European countries in rebuilding their economies. Given that Greece was significantly affected during the war, I'm curious about the specific impact the Marshall Plan had on Greece.

From what I've gathered, Greece, like many other European countries, faced tremendous economic challenges post-WWII, including infrastructure damage, inflation, and high unemployment rates. The Marshall Plan, formally known as the European Recovery Program, promised substantial financial aid to help rebuild war-torn nations, but I'm curious about how this plan was implemented in Greece specifically and what long-term effects it had on its economy and society.

I am so curious as to how, specifically, this plan affected Greece?

Looking for Information About the Library of Alexandria

I'm fascinated by the Library of Alexandria and would love to learn more about it. I've read that it was one of the largest and most significant libraries of the ancient world, but details seem scarce and sometimes contradictory.

Could anyone share insights or reliable resources on its history, how it was established, and its significance in the ancient world? I'm particularly interested in the types of texts it housed, how it contributed to the spread of knowledge, and any notable scholars associated with it. Also, what are the theories around its destruction? Are there any surviving remnants or related artifacts that I could explore?
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back