1 - 6 of 6 Posts

redsoxdw_

I love getting a bunch of fresh vegetables and making a super fresh soup for the winter! This is how I make it - add olive oil to a large soup pan. Set the heat to medium and let the oil heat for about 1 minute. Add onions and sautee for about 5 minutes so that the onions get soft. Add the vegetables like carrots, celery, zucchini, and squash and sautee for another 5 minutes. Stir in veggie broth, greens, beans, orzo, bay leaves, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil on high. Once it boils, set the heat to low and simmer it for 15-20 minutes and there you go!

greek-vegetable-soup-720x480.jpg

I love getting a bunch of fresh vegetables and making a super fresh soup for the winter! This is how I make it - add olive oil to a large soup pan. Set the heat to medium and let the oil heat for about 1 minute. Add onions and sautee for about 5 minutes so that the onions get soft. Add the vegetables like carrots, celery, zucchini, and squash and sautee for another 5 minutes. Stir in veggie broth, greens, beans, orzo, bay leaves, oregano, salt, and pepper. Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil on high. Once it boils, set the heat to low and simmer it for 15-20 minutes and there you go!

View attachment 836
So healthy!! Thanks for sharing :) I would recommend to add fresh peppercorn for a littler more spice

So healthy!! Thanks for sharing :) I would recommend to add fresh peppercorn for a littler more spice
Add some vegetarian lamb or beef for some real flavour.
And yes, lamb and beef is vegetarian as they both eat grass

Reactions: Hash and cf_fraiser
Add some vegetarian lamb or beef for some real flavour.
And yes, lamb and beef is vegetarian as they both eat grass
Thats one way to put it 😂

Greek vegetable soup is amazing - so flavorful. I like to cook with anything we have on hand.

How does this fasolada recipe look?

Does anyone have any idea if the ingredients list in this fasolada recipe looks good? I want to make it soon - seems like a good lenten meal to me.

• 1 cup dried white beans (such as Great Northern or navy beans), soaked overnight
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
  • Optional: lemon wedges for serving

I am questioning the lemon and the garlic - I never put both lemon and garlic together. Also, I have never used stock before, I usually put tomato paste in it. But this recipe has diced tomatoes so I am questioning if the stock is necessary.

Roundup of Easy Recipes to Start Cooking Greek Food

I know a lot of people who want to start cooking Greek food but are intimidated. I want to help them out by brainstorming a list of "easy win" foods to get started making.

Here's what I have - do you have anything to add?

• Greek Village Salad (Horiatiki)
  • Tzatziki
  • Greek Lemon Chicken
  • Greek Lemon Potatoes
  • Souvlaki
  • Greek yogurt with honey and walnuts
  • Grilled Halloumi cheese
  • Fasolakia
  • Briam
  • Greek style lamb chops

Traditional Greek soups in Greece?

Most of the Greeks I know are from the United States - so it's been a few generations since a lot of them spent extended time in Greece.

From what I understand, Greek cuisine kind of changes. From what I can tell, in the United States, the most popular soup is Egg and Lemon soup (avgolemono) but in Greece, I don't see to as much or rather, hear of it as much.

What are the most popular soups in Greece?

Current food trends in Greece?

I understand that Greece is just like other countries where there might be food trends, new dishes, etc to enjoy.

I'm looking to understand more about the latest trends that are currently shaping it. I'm particularly interested in how traditional Greek recipes are being reimagined by modern chefs, how regional variations are gaining popularity, or if there's a rise in any particular ingredients or cooking methods.

Is anyone here keeping tabs on contemporary movements in Greek food? Maybe you've dined at a restaurant that surprised you with a modern twist on a Greek classic, or you've come across new food blogs with innovative recipes.

The cuisine of Greece is as much about the traditional recipes we all love as it is the trends and the way the cuisine moves forward!

Enjoying Cooking with Greek Honey

One of the things I love most about Greek honey is its versatility. You can use it in so many different ways in the kitchen. I've drizzled it over Greek yogurt for breakfast, mixed it into salad dressings for a touch of sweetness, and even used it as a glaze for roasted vegetables. The depth of flavor it adds to dishes is truly remarkable.

But perhaps my favorite way to use Greek honey is in baking. It adds a wonderful depth of flavor to cakes, cookies, and pastries. I recently made a batch of baklava using Greek honey, and it was a game-changer. The honey soaked into the layers of phyllo dough, creating a sweet and sticky treat that was absolutely irresistible.

I go out of my way to buy it - if I can't find it locally, I get it online. When I go to Greece, I get some in Greece, too.

What do you love to use Greek honey for?

greek-honey.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back