1 - 2 of 2 Posts

amygdalE

I know some of the intellectual life in ancient Greece, but I am curious about its present state, since I hope that there will be a resurgence -- a needed resurgence. How is it in Rhodes? Meanwhile I'll mention one ancient Rhodian for the general reader: Panaitios (often referred to as Panaetius of Rhodes) was born in Rhodes, lived 185-110 B.C. He was a Stoic philosopher who travelled to and spent time in Rome and in Athens. In Rome he was a teacher of Cicero, who followed him and developed themes from his work, "Peri ton kathEkontos" . Cicero's work, which is translated and available online is titled "De Officiis" [= On Duties] . Panaitios maintained that virtue alone is not sufficient to attain a happy life; health and some resources are also needed. Along with the older Stoics, he maintained that humans ought to act according to nature, and that nature, by means of impulses, steers us to act properly/morally. So, Cicero dwells upon the "instinctive" love that parents have for children, for their spouses, and --to some extent -- for humans in general (on account of their being human). This love-based ethics was widely accepted during the Middle Ages theologians....

Reactions: kcixcy

kcixcy

I know some of the intellectual life in ancient Greece, but I am curious about its present state, since I hope that there will be a resurgence -- a needed resurgence. How is it in Rhodes? Meanwhile I'll mention one ancient Rhodian for the general reader: Panaitios (often referred to as Panaetius of Rhodes) was born in Rhodes, lived 185-110 B.C. He was a Stoic philosopher who travelled to and spent time in Rome and in Athens. In Rome he was a teacher of Cicero, who followed him and developed themes from his work, "Peri ton kathEkontos" . Cicero's work, which is translated and available online is titled "De Officiis" [= On Duties] . Panaitios maintained that virtue alone is not sufficient to attain a happy life; health and some resources are also needed. Along with the older Stoics, he maintained that humans ought to act according to nature, and that nature, by means of impulses, steers us to act properly/morally. So, Cicero dwells upon the "instinctive" love that parents have for children, for their spouses, and --to some extent -- for humans in general (on account of their being human). This love-based ethics was widely accepted during the Middle Ages theologians....
Im not too sure about Rhodes specifically, but I know the student populations in Athens is very strong and they are great intellectuals that are always promoting their beliefs and discussing progressive ideas. They are at the forefront of many of the movements we see in Greece

Reactions: amygdalE

Seven Springs in Rhodes is a great place for couples!

This is one of the most beautiful natural places on the island of Rhodes. In English, it's called Seven Springs, but in Greek it's called Epta Piges. These are natural springs that are open to the public. It is a particularly romantic place and great for couples, especially those on honeymoons. The springs are located in the woods, and have amazing scenery. It's the perfect place for a picnic and to spend the afternoon. I highly recommend that everyone visit!

Palace of Grand Masters being converted

work to start soon to convert it into cafe / restaurant .

Ferry service resumes between Turkish destinations and Rhodes!

For those of you that are traveling to Turkey from Greece using the ferry or vice versa, you are in luck! The ferry services are being re introduced which is great news especially for those that are traveling on a budget. The ferries were close down because of covid and have been closed for some time. Every Friday and Sunday there is a 45 minute boat ride from Fethiye, Turkey to Rhodes. This is such a quick trip and will definitely be cheaper than taking most flights! Has anyone taken this route? Unfortunately I have not and cannot provide tips from personal experience.

lot of flooding after 29 December storms

Lindos & Pefkos had a lot of damage .

The best wineries to visit in Rhodes

I've done quite a bit of research about the different types of wines in Rhodes and what wineries produce the best wine. Of course, wine are always up to your personal taste and no one can truly tell you what is the best wine for you. The most popular and successful wineries in Rhodes are Alexandris Family Winery, Kounakis, Tatakis, Kounakis and Piperis. If you've been to any of these, please let me know how your experience was!
Share and discuss your Rhodes photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter