1 - 3 of 3 Posts

toniiv

I found this list of Greek dishes to cook. Some of them I have cooked, some I have not. Either way, I was thinking of trying them out, even the ones that I have cooked before - every chef has their own way of doing things and I thought this might be a nice project for this fall. Do you guys have any suggestions?

k_tsoukalas

I would start by perfecting how you like your Greek salad. It's a different thing than most other salads because for me, it's timing. I like to prep it and leave it to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before I eat it. Also, souvlaki is an easy one to learn. You can also dive in learning tzatziki but I recommend you get a food processor first, it makes things easier.

Reactions: toniiv

toniiv

I definitely like the idea of trying one dish at a time and perfecting it and seeing how I like it. Thank you for chiming in!

Preserving Fresh Herbs from the Store?

It's cold out and I don't have garden herbs. I have some herbs growing indoors but not everything I need. So, I have been buying them at the store.

They don't last long at all! They're good maybe for 2-3 days but then I have to toss them. Any advice on how to keep them fresh or maybe even preserve them so I get the fresh taste still without relying on the fridge? People have told me to try freezing them and that didn't work - they got a freezer taste and got all mushy in the freezer (it was gross!).

Can someone help me make fasolakia?

I recently had a mishap while making fasolakia. The beans all fell apart. I am assuming I overcooked the beans but I am not sure because I have cooked the dish this long in the past without issues.

What was different about this time is I decided to put potatoes in it to make it a bit heartier for winter. Should I have not done this? Maybe I really cooked it longer than I thought because of the potatoes?

Quick Greek-style pasta dishes?

Last time I was in Greece I ate a lot of pasta dishes. It seems like a common dish for every day cuisine. I had a version with Greek yogurt - I would love to learn how to make it! I also had something with an egg on it, someone told me it was from Mani? Does anyone know anything about these dishes? What other pasta dishes do Greeks eat?

How to Use Spoon Sweets?

I am about to make my first ever spoon sweet. Someone told me that there was a it of a ritual associated with it?

I went over someone's house once and they gave me some spoon sweets with some Greek coffee and water. I am kind of getting the feeling that this is a pretty typical experience?

Besides the ritual, how else are spoon sweets used? Can I eat them like jam?

Greek-Style Fish "Dressing"

I don't know what else to call this ... I bumped into a recipe for ladolemono that had olive oil, lemon, oregano, garlic, and some onion. I decided to make a ladolemono similar to this, but adjust the seasonings for fish.

I plan to make salmon this week! So instead of oregano I will be using freshly chopped dill, and I think garlic would be too strong from salmon so am going to use a small shallow and no onion either. What do you guys think? I think it sounds like it will be delicious, and I can maybe even use this for other seafood if it goes well.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube