1 - 4 of 4 Posts

auroracoor1

Has anyone climbed Mount Ainos? I would love to take on the challenge but I'm a little out of shape LOL. How difficult is it?

mount-ainos-kefalonia-720x480.jpg

Reactions: ssherie_

d_kakavouli

You're in luck! You can drive some of the way and walk the rest because there is a highway that passes through the mountain. So you only have to walk as much as you want.

ssherie_

Short answer: yes! I wouldn't recommend it if you're not used to difficult hikes

k_tsoukalas

Hiking in Greece is challenging - often a lot more challenging than it would first appear. The main issue is fluid intake. The climate is so dry, you need A LOT more water than you think. Hikers are often unprepared and need to be rescued. I would say, unless you have a lot of technical experience hiking in different conditions and know how to be fully prepared for a hike, I wouldn't do it. However, it sounds like there are options to make this hike easier, which sound like they're worth exploring.

Ammes beach is one of the best beaches on Kefalonia

Ammes beach is in the Svoronata area which is very close to the airport. Its about 10 km southwest of Argostoli and one of the best beaches on the island! It's a pretty low-key beach with some great organized lounge chairs but as with most beaches in Greece, you can find a public spot where you can swim with ease and free of charge. The beach is super sandy and the waters are very clear. I highly recommend it!

Beautiful pictures from the island of Kefalonia!

I am starting this thread now of pictures from the beautiful island of Kefalonia! It is definitely one of my favorites on the western side of Greece, with the exception of Zakinthos. Please leave some pictures in the comments! I would love to see them.

91671091-69A5-496D-89D8-0527CA3B0B6E.jpeg

The Kefalonia-Ithaca Geopark is now an official member of the UNESCO World Geoparks Network

This is huge news for Kefalonia and the conservation of the geopark. This means that UNESCO will play a pivotal role in supporting efforts to educate about and preserve the sustainability of the geopark. This will have an impact on tourism and help sustain some of the eco-tourism efforts that we have been seeing all around Greece. Bravo to the government and the municipality of Kefalonia!

Beautiful live music in Kefalonia

This is not an abnormal site to see in Greece, just a group of friends enjoying themselves and sharing their talents with others. Bravo to these men on the beautiful island of Kefalonia!

Hiking up Mount Ainos in Kefalonia

This is one of the best hikes you can do on the island, and in the region for sure. It can be a bit difficult for those who aren't experienced, so I do recommend that you hike in a group or with a tour guide. Of course, you don't have to hike all the way up and you can travel part of the way by car. What's important is that you enjoy the views and you do as much as you can. This video showcases the stunning views for anyone who is interested in going.

Share and discuss your Kefalonia photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube