1 - 4 of 4 Posts

acamp7

As Ive traveled the world a bit, I noticed that so many different countries have rice pudding!! So my question is....is there anything that makes the Greek variation special/different? Because from the pictures, everyones rice pudding pretty much looks like this lol

Rizogalo.jpg

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Great question! I have only had Greek rice pudding, so I am not sure and look forward to other replying on this one :)

Deborah

Every country seems to put its own touches on one of the World’s favorite comfort foods….rice pudding. The major differences are: the type of rice used (or available), the method of cooking (stove top or baked), the binding ingredient (milk, eggs, cornstarch etc.) and perhaps most important, the seasonings and accompaniments used. For example I’ve made a Lebanese rice pudding with rose water and almonds. An Indian pudding might contain cardamom and raisins; an Italian pudding could even contain coffee and chocolate! While most rice pudding recipes are very similar to the Greek in their use of cinnamon, what surprised me most about the Greek version was that it was often served in the villages warm for breakfast….like waiting for the fresh donuts!! 😋

Reactions: acamp7

acamp7

Every country seems to put its own touches on one of the World’s favorite comfort foods….rice pudding. The major differences are: the type of rice used (or available), the method of cooking (stove top or baked), the binding ingredient (milk, eggs, cornstarch etc.) and perhaps most important, the seasonings and accompaniments used. For example I’ve made a Lebanese rice pudding with rose water and almonds. An Indian pudding might contain cardamom and raisins; an Italian pudding could even contain coffee and chocolate! While most rice pudding recipes are very similar to the Greek in their use of cinnamon, what surprised me most about the Greek version was that it was often served in the villages warm for breakfast….like waiting for the fresh donuts!! 😋
Great point!! What type of rice do you recommend? And what type of rice do Greeks use?

Is it possible to use ground pork or lamb for Greek ground beef recipes?

Im not a huge fan of ground beef sometimes and I like to switch up the types of protein that I use. Has anyone tried making pastitsio or gemista with pork or lamb for example? How was it?

How to make authentic Greek moussaka (Greeces national dish)

If you don't know how to make this dish then do you really love Greek cooking??? Just joking, let me know if you like this recipe :)

What is more traditional? Dolmades (grape leaves) or lahanodolmades?

Is either of them more traditional? I would like to try making one of them this weekend :)

This Greek chestnut salad is perfect for winter!

Who knew chestnuts could be made into a salad!! I love making this during the winter months :)

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound chestnuts, roasted, peeled and chopped
  • 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
  • 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
  • 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped parsley
  • 1 teaspoon fresh, chopped sage
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • Lettuce leaves, for serving
  • Lemon wedges, to garnish
The recipe is super simple, all you do is mix the roasted chestnuts with the rest of the ingredients and you're all set!! Enjoy

Kastana-Salata-720x480.jpg

How to make pligouri salata

This is such a light and refreshing dish!! Here's how to make it
  • 4 tablespoons Greek olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, chopped into small pieces
  • 1 cup bulgur wheat
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 medium tomatoes, sliced (remove the cores)
  • 3 scallions, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
  • 1 tablespoons fresh lemon zest, from one whole lemon
  • Juice of one whole lemon
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Black pepper, to taste
All you need to do is finely chop everything and toss in the dressing!

Pligouri-Salata-720x480.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter