1 - 6 of 6 Posts

greek_ggirl

This is for all of the users that have a green thumb.... I've always wanted to grow olives in my backyard, but part of me thinks that they will never taste as good as the ones that I get from Greece. Is it even worth trying? For a little bit of context, I live in Montreal where the summers are warm but the winters are pretty cold and snowy. Has anyone tried this out themselves?

k_tsoukalas

This is for all of the users that have a green thumb.... I've always wanted to grow olives in my backyard, but part of me thinks that they will never taste as good as the ones that I get from Greece. Is it even worth trying? For a little bit of context, I live in Montreal where the summers are warm but the winters are pretty cold and snowy. Has anyone tried this out themselves?
I didn't think olives grew well in climates like that? They wouldn't survive the winter - but maybe if you had the tree indoors or in a greenhouse?

Dluciani4

I didn't think olives grew well in climates like that? They wouldn't survive the winter - but maybe if you had the tree indoors or in a greenhouse?
I live in New Jersey and we leave our olive tree out starting in May until October. Then bring in to basement with grow lights. Get lots of olives. Good luck.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

I live in New Jersey and we leave our olive tree out starting in May until October. Then bring in to basement with grow lights. Get lots of olives. Good luck.
Wow this is an amazing idea. Does it take a lot of work to keep the plants from dying when you bring them inside? I would love to get started on this project

Dluciani4

Wow this is an amazing idea. Does it take a lot of work to keep the plants from dying when you bring them inside? I would love to get started on this project
Not at all. We have it in a large pot and wheel it in. We have grow lights on a timer and maybe water it every 3-4 weeks during the winter.

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

Gluten Free Moussaka?

I am going to a dinner party where the hostess is gluten free. I thought I would try making this and bring it to her house. What do you guys think of it?

I have made regular moussaka with gluten, so I think I will be okay with this (I am kind of new at cooking Greek food).

How Do You Make Your Greek Village Salad?

I got turned onto this salad recently and I realize that it's such a nice change of pace from the salads I usually make. I love how it doesn't use lettuce because I don't always seem to have it on hand.

Here is the combination I like for mine. How do you guys like making it?

- tomatoes
- cucumber
- green bell peppers
- red onion or scallion
- kalamata olives
- feta cheese
- plenty of olive oil
- oregano

I like it a bit room temperature so after I make it, I set it on the counter for maybe 45 minutes before I dive in. It also gives the flavors a chance to meld together. I would like to try making other combinations!

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Is Melomakarona and Finikia the Same Thing?

I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

Tips for Working with Phyllo?

As I am reconnecting with cooking Greek food and tracking down some of my mother's old recipes (I lost most of them!) or recreating them through research, I realize I am rusty working with phyllo. Do you guys have any tips? In particular, the phyllo seems to be sticking together inside the package.

I enjoyed this video - do you guys have anything to add?

I have been thawing it on the counter and that I think is my first problem!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter