1 - 6 of 6 Posts

greek_ggirl

This is for all of the users that have a green thumb.... I've always wanted to grow olives in my backyard, but part of me thinks that they will never taste as good as the ones that I get from Greece. Is it even worth trying? For a little bit of context, I live in Montreal where the summers are warm but the winters are pretty cold and snowy. Has anyone tried this out themselves?

k_tsoukalas

This is for all of the users that have a green thumb.... I've always wanted to grow olives in my backyard, but part of me thinks that they will never taste as good as the ones that I get from Greece. Is it even worth trying? For a little bit of context, I live in Montreal where the summers are warm but the winters are pretty cold and snowy. Has anyone tried this out themselves?
I didn't think olives grew well in climates like that? They wouldn't survive the winter - but maybe if you had the tree indoors or in a greenhouse?

Dluciani4

I didn't think olives grew well in climates like that? They wouldn't survive the winter - but maybe if you had the tree indoors or in a greenhouse?
I live in New Jersey and we leave our olive tree out starting in May until October. Then bring in to basement with grow lights. Get lots of olives. Good luck.

Reactions: greggd12

greggd12

I live in New Jersey and we leave our olive tree out starting in May until October. Then bring in to basement with grow lights. Get lots of olives. Good luck.
Wow this is an amazing idea. Does it take a lot of work to keep the plants from dying when you bring them inside? I would love to get started on this project

Dluciani4

Wow this is an amazing idea. Does it take a lot of work to keep the plants from dying when you bring them inside? I would love to get started on this project
Not at all. We have it in a large pot and wheel it in. We have grow lights on a timer and maybe water it every 3-4 weeks during the winter.

Reactions: cf_fraiser

cf_fraiser

Where to get the best gyros in Athens

Athens has some of the best street food in Greece! You can pretty much get great street food anywhere in Greece, but these are some of my best suggestions for the next time that you're in Athens. I recommend ordering a gyro pita with tzatziki, french fries, tomatoes, and onions! It's the classic gyro and you won't be disappointed.

- o Gyros Pou Gyrevis
- Tylixto Greek Wrap
- Just Pita

Have you ever made Greek fruit soaked in wine and honey?

This is one of the easiest and fastest Greek recipes that you can make! All you need is seasonal fruit, your favorite Greek sweet wine, some honey, and any spices that you prefer. I like to use a Greek honey as well, and if I can find it I will use pine tree honey. It has an amazing aromatic flavor. Here is my recipe

• 1/2 cups sweet red wine such as mavrodaphne
  • 4 tbs honey
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 tablespoons orange juice (fresh is best)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 4 cups seasonal fruit of your choice
First, you need to cut up your fruits and then make the mixture separately. Drizzle the mixture on top of the fruit, and there you have it! It's best serve chilled from the fridge and even on top of yogurt.

How to make homemade Greek sausages

Greek sausages are fresh and fragrant. You can make these sausages out of any type of ground meat, but the most traditional way is ground pork. I like to use chicken for breakfast sausages but pork for when I'm having a barbecue with guests over. I like to get fresh ground meat from the butcher, with about 15-20% of fat. The more fat, the juicer the sausages will be. Keep in mind that if you're using a leaner cut of meat, you will want to keep an eye on the cook time so that they don't dry out. Here is my favorite recipe. It's in Greek but I use a google translate add on to understand it.

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!

How to make the best french fries!

Even though they were popularized in the United States, french fries are a staple of Greek cuisine. The Greeks do them much better than anyone else! Greek french fries are thick cut, and always made fresh to order. We don't use frozen fries and we always fry them in high quality oil. Here is how to make the best Greek fries
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter