1 - 8 of 8 Posts

dimi_pat

I've seen so many different recipe variations of tzatziki, and I really don't know what's most traditional and authentic. I have noticed that many restaurants in the United States add dill to the sauce, but that it's not super common in Greece. Does anyone know what is more traditional? Is the dill version from a specific region in Greece? I like the sauce with and without it, but I am just curious.

I don't really like dill so I never make my tzatziki with it. I know a lot of Greeks in the US who love dill and they put it in everything!

Reactions: knicks_fan87

knicks_fan87

I don't really like dill so I never make my tzatziki with it. I know a lot of Greeks in the US who love dill and they put it in everything!
I personally like both versions. But I have never seen it with dill in Greece. Not sure why though.

Patisqua

My family do not garlic. My tzatziki consists of Greek yoghurt, mint, olive oil and salt. Dill is used in Greek salad, lamb baking.
At the end of the day, oregano, rosemary and dill re the popular erbs of choice in Greek cooking. How you use them is personal taste. Patisqua

Reactions: francescool

francescool

My family do not garlic. My tzatziki consists of Greek yoghurt, mint, olive oil and salt. Dill is used in Greek salad, lamb baking.
At the end of the day, oregano, rosemary and dill re the popular erbs of choice in Greek cooking. How you use them is personal taste. Patisqua
I've never thought of not adding tzatziki! It will save my breath for sure!

Patisqua

I've never thought of not adding tzatziki! It will save my breath for sure!
Try it. My sister is allergic to garlic. We're the only Greek house in the world that doesn't have onions and garlic in the house.

Reactions: nm1999

nm1999

Try it. My sister is allergic to garlic. We're the only Greek house in the world that doesn't have onions and garlic in the house.
That is a shame! Do you find that the food tastes just as good?

k_tsoukalas

Does dill grow well in Greece? I noticed here that Dill tends to struggle when it's hot out. I've had it both with and without dill and they're both good - just different. I don't make it with dill because it is not easy for me to find, and I also have never had it in Greece with dill.

Have you ever made a traditional Greek rabbit recipe?

Rabbit is considered a delicacy in Greece, even though it's not so popular today. There are many different variations of rabbit that are made in Greece, but the most popular is a rabbit stew. The stew consists of tomato, carrots, celery, a whole rabbit, onions, garlic, and spices such as rosemary, allspice, bay leaf, pepper, and salt. This is a great recipe that I have tried myself and I like to make every now and then when I can find rabbit at the butcher or farmers market.

Do you know where honey gets its taste?

A little known fact, is that the flavor of honey will depend on where the bees are getting their nectar. Meaning that if the bees are getting their nectar from sunflowers or evergreen trees, your honey will taste totally different and have a completely different color! I personally love evergreen honey! This video explains it much better than me...check it out

How to make homemade Greek yogurt

This process is straight out of a Greek village! Fresh Greek yogurt is so wonderful, and tastes nothing like what you get at the grocery store. The flavor is so rich, and the texture is so creamy. If you have the time and resources, I really suggest that you try this out.

How to make a creamy Greek chicken pasta!

This recipe is perfect for a big family with kids who are picky eaters! You can make this pasta in only 15 minutes, which is the best part! If im cooking it for adults, I always like to add a bit more vegetables since my kids don't really like veggies. You can always choose fresh artichokes or canned, but canned is definitely much faster. Let me know what you think of this recipe!

Did you know that fresh mint can help cure nausea?

Greeks have been using herbs for medicinal purposes for generations, and these recipes and tips have been passed down from generation to generation. Greek spearmint or mint is one of the best ways to cure nausea and an upset stomach. Of course, if you have a serious medical illness you should seek the help of a doctor because mint is not a replacement for medical treatment. Next time you feel ill and nauseous, try adding mint to your herbal tea and see what happens!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter