1 - 3 of 3 Posts

greggd12

One of the most common things I've heard about Santorini is that it is great for sightseeing and walking around but it is not that great for beaches and swimming. I've heard that the beaches are also hard to get to and are usually at the bottom of a cliff...that being said, does it make sense to get a beachfront hotel in Santorini? Is it true that the beaches aren't that great? Im wondering how much of my time I will actually spend at the beach. Looking forward to replies...thanks!

Reactions: John Stefan

Deborah

Unless you’re looking for beach-focused-only vacation, my answer would be no. The most unique features of Santorini are the topography, view, and archeological digs. The beaches offer the same exquisite water, but are quite varied from red/black sand, pebbles, to jumping off the rocks. I would opt for accommodation on the Caldera either in Fira or Oia. That way you would always have the view and quick access to the Fira - Oia cliffside walk which is particularly spectacular in the early morning as mist rises from the Caldera or at sunset. Many cliffside hotels offer either a private/semi-private pool - but if too expensive for what you want to spend - I would recommend an in-town hotel like the
Aressana Spa Hotel which offers a swimming pool and quick access to the town, nightlife, and caldera view. Day trips to the villages, digs, Therasia and beaches are quite easy.

Reactions: John Stefan

k_tsoukalas

I agree with Deborah... the beachfront hotels tend to feel kind of isolating. I would consider getting a cliffside hotel with a pool - it's the best of both worlds. If you want a beach vacation, I am not sure Santorini is the best island for you. Maybe Mykonos or even Crete in that case?

Has anyone taken a cruise to Santorini?

I've always considered whether it's a good idea to take a cruise around the islands, or just visit them myself. Has anyone taken a cruise around Santorini and the neighbouring islands? I don't know the pros and cons and whether it's a good value. I'm looking for someone with personal experience who can share a bit about their trip. If you have any specific companies that would also be great. Thank you in advance.

Did you know that Santorini has an industrial tomato museum?

Santorini had a huge production of tomatoes, which was so big that they even have an industrial tomato museum that is open to the public. Santorini no longer exports as much tomato paste as it used to, I'm assuming because it became one of the most popular tourist hot spots in the entire world. The museum is located in the former D. Nomikos Tomato Factory, and I really suggest that you check it out!! Safe travels :)

These are the top two foods to try in Santorini!

Santorini has some of the best sunsets, but also some of the best food! The island has so many fantastic restaurants, many of which are taking a modern twist on traditional Greek cuisine. Two of the must try foods that are local dishes in Santorini are domatokeftedes (tomato fritters) and fava. Here are pictures of both dishes!

Akrotiri Lighthouse in Santorini is stunning 😍

Who knew that Santorini had such a beautiful lighthouse! This lighthouse dates back to the late 1800's and was build by a French company. This video gives you a great idea of what the lighthouse looks like and what you can expect from visiting. You are unable to visit the inside of the lighthouse unless you are authorized (navy or official business) but it is beautiful to see from the outside or even from a view from some Santorini cliffs. Has anyone ever been?

The truth about costs in Santorini

Have you ever wanted some insight about the reality of how much you would spend in Santorini? Here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing you what some day-to-day expenses would be. If anyone has some advice on where to go in Santorini that is affordable, please let us know!

Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter