1 - 2 of 2 Posts
I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

k_tsoukalas

I think these are the same thing! I have no idea why they are the same cookie with a different name - or are they the same? This link said that the name difference is regional?

Is Melomakarona and Finikia the Same Thing?

I am trying to get my recipe box in order and I have a recipe for Melomakarona and another for Finikia, but as I look at these recipes, they look like the same thing. Are they? My family always referred to it as Finikia and always made it at Christmas, but I got the Melomakorona recipe from a friend without realizing the similarities. If it is the same cookie, does anyone know why it has different names?

Greek American Thanksgiving Rice/ Hamburg Dish?

My family makes this dish and I am trying to recreate it and maybe even try something different... I know it might take me a while to nail down my technique before Thanksgiving, and I will even want to do at least one test run.

As far as I can tell this is basically the technique:

Sauce one chopped onion
Brown the hamburg
Add salt, pepper, and spices (I think my family uses allspice?)
Stir in the rice
Add water
Cook it.
Stir in roasted chestnuts.

As you can see, I don't know amounts or timing. Can someone help me recreate it?

Greek Grilled Corn Recipe to Try

One of my favorite street foods in Greece is the grilled corn you get on the streets and every now and then, I like to try to replicate it at home. Do you have a favorite way of preparing this? Here is one of the recipes I am planning to try:

Please drop your suggestions in the thread, I plan to a bunch of different recipes.

Squash Dish with Phyllo?

My mother used to make this squash dish around this time of year that involved phyllo, but I can't remember what it is called! I lost my mother's recipes and miss her cooking so much, I am trying to recreate some of my childhood favorites. She used to sometimes use zucchini, other times she'd use butternut squash. It was kind of sweet but not sweet like a dessert. Just enough sweetness.

Making My Own Phyllo?

I have been having trouble with frozen phyllo - it sticks when I take it out of the package. I will try to switch to a different brand, but I am wondering if I should actually give making my wn phyllo a try? Do you guys have any tips for me?

I found this recipe - does it look good to you guys? I have never done this before:

Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter