1 - 11 of 11 Posts

dubai_suzie

Have any women traveled around the island alone? Im a bit cautious traveling these days without my husband, any advice?

I have not heard anything specific about if Mykonos Greece is any less safe than any other major travel destination in Europe.

After a bit of research, here are a few other sources that might help:

I hope you have a safe and great time in Mykonos!

Have any women traveled around the island alone? Im a bit cautious traveling these days without my husband, any advice?
Have you been to Mykonos with your husband or friends before?I used to live there! I have met any solo lady travelers in my years there, writers,poets, artists, musicians,

Reactions: greek_ggirl
Have you been to Mykonos with your husband or friends before?I used to live there! I have met any solo lady travelers in my years there, writers,poets, artists, musicians,
I have also seen many women traveling alone, I have not spoken to them though. But I think that it's a good sign

I have seen women traveling along all over Greece. Just be careful of pickpockets but other than that, Greeks are very hospitable and they may even go out of the way to look after a solo traveler.

Reactions: Hash
I have seen women traveling along all over Greece. Just be careful of pickpockets but other than that, Greeks are very hospitable and they may even go out of the way to look after a solo traveler.
A very strange question.....In my life having lived there many years working in Tourism industry I have yet to find any negative comments about this.This summer just gone there was a female "Solo traveler" who asked the similar question on TripAdvisor (she had 2 previous forum posts to her name!!!!!)..... None of us bothered to respond such questions....My answer would be "Don't go"!!..... Kalley Mera!

Last edited:
It seems to me that Mykonos is very safe, but I imagine it's just like anywhere else that we need to keep our eyes open!

Reactions: seleanor
It seems to me that Mykonos is very safe, but I imagine it's just like anywhere else that we need to keep our eyes open!
Yes, always stay aware of your surroundings!

Yes, always stay aware of your surroundings!
Yup people who are observant and keep their eyes open are better off and can more easily stay safe. Most people who want to do something, like pick pocket, look for the clueless ones who aren't paying attention to their wallets, purses, or environments...

Reactions: seleanor
Yup people who are observant and keep their eyes open are better off and can more easily stay safe. Most people who want to do something, like pick pocket, look for the clueless ones who aren't paying attention to their wallets, purses, or environments...
This is true, there is not a lot of violence in Greece that you can get in the way of like in other countries. There aren't a lot go guns either

This is true, there is not a lot of violence in Greece that you can get in the way of like in other countries. There aren't a lot go guns either
Most people are poor and looking for money, not to harm you, at least from what I've heard

Sightseeing Priorities in Mykonos

I will be in Mykonos for about 6-7 days but some of that will be taken up with a wedding and the related festivities.

I estimate I might have 4 full days to sightsee that don't involve the wedding. This isn't a lot of time. I will get at least one beach day, and I would like to get to know the island - its history, culture, etc.

Do you have any suggestions on how to prioritize?

Advice for an extended stay in Mykonos

I plan to be on Mykonos for about a month over the summer and I honestly feel like I am a bit late to the party securing a rental for that long. I am not seeing much on airbnb.

That could change as more properties become available... I don't know.

Am I missing something? Are there other networks that people use when going to Mykonos that I maybe haven't thought of? I don't want to move mid trip but I guess I could. Like do a week here and there. It could give me a chance to see different things on the island.

What are your opinions about the party scene in Mykonos?

I am traveling to Greece this July with a large group of friends and family and we all have different interests.

Some of the people have never been to Mykonos and are pushing for a longer stay because they want to party.

I did all that when I was younger, and it wasn't the greatest. I loved nightclubs back then, too.

What have been your experiences? I found it to be too hot to party hard. I love to dance, and I couldn't really dance much. The beaches made me feel claustrophobic because there was nowhere to really walk and get away from the loud music!

Shopping from local artisans while in Mykonos question

I'm planning a trip to Mykonos soon and one thing I'm really excited about is exploring the local artisan scene. I've heard that the island is home to many talented craftsmen and artists, and I'd love to bring back some unique and authentic souvenirs.

However, I'm not quite sure where to start or what to look for when shopping from local artisans. I'd really appreciate any tips or recommendations from those who have experience with this.

Do you have any favorite artisan shops or markets in Mykonos that you would recommend? What are some typical items or crafts that I should keep an eye out for? Any advice on how to distinguish authentic, locally made products from mass-produced tourist trinkets?

I'm also interested in learning about any cultural or historical significance behind certain artisanal crafts on the island. Understanding the stories behind the products would definitely enhance my shopping experience.

Nightlife question about Mykonos

I have seen footage of fun-looking club atmospheres on Mykonos. I went last year and couldn't find those parties! I want to try again the next time I am in Greece, probably in September.

I’d love to find places that strike a balance between great music (preferably a mix of international and local beats), a lively but not overly crowded atmosphere, and of course, stunning settings that scream ‘Mykonos’!

Does anyone have personal favorites or hidden gems they'd be willing to share?

mykonos-nightlife.jpg
Share and discuss your Mykonos photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back