1 - 6 of 6 Posts

acamp7

I remember visiting back in the day and Santorini was pretty affordable, especially if you weren't planing on shopping and eating at fancy restaurants all day. But I was looking at hotel prices and they're skyrocketing! I was a fool to think that they'd be cheaper because of the pandemic. I guess everyone is jumping all at once to get a booking in before the summer starts. Any thoughts?

mastichas09

Yes honestly I've been very dissaopinted with the way that Santorini is going...everything is so expensive and there are so many tourists that I feel like I can't get some peace and quiet on the island. It's such a shame

Living in Santorini the last 7 years,i can inform you that hotel prices have gone down this year but i agree that santorini is expensive over all.

Reactions: knicks_fan87

knicks_fan87

Living in Santorini the last 7 years,i can inform you that hotel prices have gone down this year but i agree that santorini is expensive over all.
Are the prices down because of COVID? Or another reason?

It is because of covid.Santorini has way to many hotels villas etc and we are used of getting large number of tourists.Now less tourists are coming so the prices have to go down because there is too much competition-options.

Yes honestly I've been very dissaopinted with the way that Santorini is going...everything is so expensive and there are so many tourists that I feel like I can't get some peace and quiet on the island. It's such a shame
If your so disappointed that your fellow Greek is not making money from you or any other tourist during summer, I recommend you don't go.

Stop criticising Greece. Go to India if you want a cheap holiday.

The donkeys of Santorini

These donkeys are famous! Hailing back from before Santorini was the biggest tourist hotspot, donkeys were used by locals to transport themselves and their goods up the hilly Santorini mountainside. Today, you may see a few donkeys used for these purposes but for the most part they are used for tourists to take a tour of the island.
9A8A39F1-280D-4B9A-9567-4BAFA018DB45.jpeg

The truth about costs in Santorini

Have you ever wanted some insight about the reality of how much you would spend in Santorini? Here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing you what some day-to-day expenses would be. If anyone has some advice on where to go in Santorini that is affordable, please let us know!

You must visit the hot springs in Santorini

The Hot Springs in Santorini are one of the best natural springs that you can go to in Greece. They are heated by the islands volcano that is underneath the ocean, causing the springs to be extremely warm and offer a very relaxing experience. There are two small islands near Santorini in which you can be able to access the Hot Springs. You will need to take a boat to Nea Kameni or Palea Kameni. You will notice that the water is slightly yellow, but this is because it has a higher amount of sulphur than regular seawater, so no need to be alarmed. I hope you enjoy the Hot Springs!

The best place to go scuba diving in Santorini

Santorini is one of the best places to go scuba diving because the island was created from a volcano many years ago which makes the sea life very different from other areas of Greece. There are very unique Coral reef Sandrock formations that have come from the volcano, and as always, the sea is teeming with wildlife. I highly recommend visiting Caldera Lagoon and arranging that you go scuba diving there. There are a few local schools that you should call ahead of time to schedule your slot. Best of luck!

The best restaurants in Santorini

Santorini has some of the best Greek cuisine! Ever since the tourism industry has been booming, chefs from all over the world have been visiting, opening up restaurants, and collaborating with Greek shifts. In my opinion, this is the island where you can get the most diverse and elevated cuisine. These are the best restaurants in my opinion, but please let me know your top pics. I would love to know.

- Ouzeri
-Almira
-Ambrosia
-FalafeLand (vegan)

These are just a handful that I can remember off the top of my head!
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter