1 - 5 of 5 Posts

auroracoor1

What is the best way to get around Santorini? Can I walk? Or do I have to rent a taxi or take the bus?

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
Really depends what part of Santorini you are staying in. When I was last there I rented a car, drove, parked and then walked around. Hope you have a good trip to Santorini!

HeartSantorini

Santorini can be walkable, but sometimes walking isn't comfortable. The island isn't quite small enough to be able to walk it. There is a bus. You can also take a taxi. There aren't really many rental cars. I've walked up and down the giant hill at Oia, and that is doable but a little hard.

Vangelis

Santorini is well serviced by its buses. They are cheap and can quickly and easily get you to the beaches and other towns such as Oia. I didn't need to hire a car because the buses could get me where I wanted to go. If you want to roam more freely on the island and go to beaches on the other side and lesser known beaches, then you should probably hire a car, otherwise there's no need really. And I was travelling with a family of 4 and we still all found it convenient to use the buses.

Reactions: d_kakavouli

d_kakavouli

Santorini is well serviced by its buses. They are cheap and can quickly and easily get you to the beaches and other towns such as Oia. I didn't need to hire a car because the buses could get me where I wanted to go. If you want to roam more freely on the island and go to beaches on the other side and lesser known beaches, then you should probably hire a car, otherwise there's no need really. And I was travelling with a family of 4 and we still all found it convenient to use the buses.
I also really like to use the buses on the island. They run pretty frequently

Reactions: Vangelis

The truth about costs in Santorini

Have you ever wanted some insight about the reality of how much you would spend in Santorini? Here's a video that does a pretty good job of showing you what some day-to-day expenses would be. If anyone has some advice on where to go in Santorini that is affordable, please let us know!

You must visit the hot springs in Santorini

The Hot Springs in Santorini are one of the best natural springs that you can go to in Greece. They are heated by the islands volcano that is underneath the ocean, causing the springs to be extremely warm and offer a very relaxing experience. There are two small islands near Santorini in which you can be able to access the Hot Springs. You will need to take a boat to Nea Kameni or Palea Kameni. You will notice that the water is slightly yellow, but this is because it has a higher amount of sulphur than regular seawater, so no need to be alarmed. I hope you enjoy the Hot Springs!

There are no Taxis in Santorini!

I love Santorini and this is my 4th time visiting the island. My advice is rent a car. Even with driving being tough with the thousands of tourists packed everywhere on mopeds, motorcycles, tiny cars, it is so much better than trying to find a taxi.

Today, I spend 3 hours to get a taxi to take me 4 miles...just too hot and dangerous to walk.

I had to go store to store ans ask after I finallu wapked into a supermarket, the owner called his friend that owns a transfer service, pay cash to get a ride. No uber, taxis or any app or service anywhere.

Please share your tips if you have any, about how to find a taxi in Santorini?

The best restaurants in Santorini

Santorini has some of the best Greek cuisine! Ever since the tourism industry has been booming, chefs from all over the world have been visiting, opening up restaurants, and collaborating with Greek shifts. In my opinion, this is the island where you can get the most diverse and elevated cuisine. These are the best restaurants in my opinion, but please let me know your top pics. I would love to know.

- Ouzeri
-Almira
-Ambrosia
-FalafeLand (vegan)

These are just a handful that I can remember off the top of my head!

Did you know that Santorini has an industrial tomato museum?

Santorini had a huge production of tomatoes, which was so big that they even have an industrial tomato museum that is open to the public. Santorini no longer exports as much tomato paste as it used to, I'm assuming because it became one of the most popular tourist hot spots in the entire world. The museum is located in the former D. Nomikos Tomato Factory, and I really suggest that you check it out!! Safe travels :)
Share and discuss Santorini photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter