1 - 5 of 5 Posts

tomipark

Koulourakia are braided cookies that are super simple and a Greek classic. They are pretty popular throughout the year and can be found at pretty much any Greek bakery. But they are customary during the winter, and especially for Christmas and New Years. They taste really great when they're dipped in coffee, hot chocolate, tea with milk or pretty much any hot winter drink that you like! Here are some classic recipes I have found online...

ladytina

This is actually my favorite Greek cookie for the holidays! I love having it at Christmas, it feels so festive. Someone told me once that they are considered the "celebration" cookie, so I started to serve it at all happy occasions, and for me, Christmas is one of those. It also tastes great with coffee!

Last edited:

kef_john68

I agree! I love koulourakia, as well! This is great anytime of the year, but there is something special about eating it this time of year. I am not sure, but I think my family uses orange zest around Christmas to give it a different flavor.

This is actually my favorite Greek cookie for the holidays! I love having it at Christmas, it feels so festive. Someone told me once that they are considered the "celebration" cookie, so I started to serve it at all happy occasions, and for me, Christmas is one of those. It also tastes great with coffee!
I know! For me, I actually like to dip my koulourakia in mulled wine! I drink mulled wine during the holidays, spiced with plenty of cinnamon and sweetened with honey, and the cookies are a perfect complement.

k_tsoukalas

I love these all year long, especially with coffee. I also associated them with Easter, though, and sometimes think of them as the Easter cookie! I use orange zest for mine and I love it, but I do play with the flavors a bit and tend to put a lot of cinnamon in my Christmas versions.

Where to get the best gyros in Athens

Athens has some of the best street food in Greece! You can pretty much get great street food anywhere in Greece, but these are some of my best suggestions for the next time that you're in Athens. I recommend ordering a gyro pita with tzatziki, french fries, tomatoes, and onions! It's the classic gyro and you won't be disappointed.

- o Gyros Pou Gyrevis
- Tylixto Greek Wrap
- Just Pita

How to make refreshing mussels saganaki for the summer

Mussels might seem like an intimidating dish to cook, but they're actually pretty easy. I like to get fresh mussels from a fishmonger or a grocery store when they are available. I make sure to clean them really well on the outside to get all of the sand out, and I boil them once until they open and quickly rinse them so any sand inside will escape. After that, I follow this recipe and they come out perfect!

Mastic ice cream is the best dessert for summer

Greek mastic ice cream is one of the best summer desserts. It has such a unique flavor, and is made from traditional Greek ingredients. You can usually find this ice cream packaged in a grocery store, from a Greek pastry store, and some people even make it at home. If you would like to try to, here are some recipes that you can use.

All of the different shapes of baklava

Traditional Greek baklava is usually cut into triangles or squares, but there are many more very popular versions such as the round and rolled up ones. All baklava is pretty much exactly the same, only the shape is different. This video shows you all of the unique variations. I know that the video is in Turkish, but baklava is exactly the same no matter what country it comes from. These different shapes are definitely a little more difficult to make, and you'll need to be a bit more handy with the filo dough.

How to make the best french fries!

Even though they were popularized in the United States, french fries are a staple of Greek cuisine. The Greeks do them much better than anyone else! Greek french fries are thick cut, and always made fresh to order. We don't use frozen fries and we always fry them in high quality oil. Here is how to make the best Greek fries
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter