1 - 2 of 2 Posts

blopez34

During World War II, Thessaloniki was faced more damages with over 800 buildings being destroyed and 231 people killed in November 1940 alone when Fascist Italy attempted to take the city. I learned about this rich history at the War Museum in Thessaloniki, which is also located very close to a bunch of other museums in the city like the Museum of Byzantine Culture and The Olympic Museum.

Worldwide Greeks Editor

Administrator
Staff member
During World War II, Thessaloniki was faced more damages with over 800 buildings being destroyed and 231 people killed in November 1940 alone when Fascist Italy attempted to take the city. I learned about this rich history at the War Museum in Thessaloniki, which is also located very close to a bunch of other museums in the city like the Museum of Byzantine Culture and The Olympic Museum.

I would recommend that everyone visit the WW2 museum while visiting Thessaloniki.

Here is a good list of other museum to visit while in Thessaloniki:

These are the top three beaches in Thessaloniki

If you ask me, I personally don't love going to the beach near the city. I find that the beaches aren't the best, but if you're touring the city and interested in going for a quick swim, these are your best options. The video does a great job of showing exactly what the beaches are like! Websites will show you photoshopped pictures that are edited to show the clearest waters and cleanest beaches. That's why I like to go to YouTube to see the reality of what I'm signing up for.

You should check out a PAOK soccer game at Toumba Stadium in Thessaloniki

Toumba Stadium is where the PAOK Football Club plays all of its games! Soccer games in Greece are very exciting and full of energy. I would argue that they're probably some of the most passionate soccer fans in the entire world. Of course, if they're playing a rival team I recommend exercising caution. Sometimes the fans can get pretty rowdy and fights can break out. It's definitely a great place to go if you're in the city! :)

What do Athenians think about Thessaloniki?

Before any Athenians or Greeks get their feelings hurt in the comments, please know that this video was just for fun! Personally, I love both Athens and Thessaloniki and have had great experiences in both places. I have found that Athens is very beautiful during Christmas time, and I prefer to travel there in the off-season since it can get very hot during the summer and pretty empty during August. Thessaloniki is great during the summer because it's right by the water so you can enjoy that cool ocean breeze.

What are the best day trips from Thessaloniki?

I’ve been wanting to visit Thessaloniki for a while now, but of course I can’t visit a city without hitting the beach right after! Are there any good day trips from the island that people recommend?

What neighborhoods do you recommend that I visit in Thessaloniki?

I’m only planning on going to Thessaloniki for a couple of days so I’m wondering what would be the best neighborhoods to visit. Personally, I’m not looking for anything super touristy. I like to go out to eat and shop around, and usually go back to my hotel around 10pm, so not much nightlife for me. Let me know what you all think!!
Share and discuss your Thessaloniki photos, questions and experiences!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter