1 - 5 of 5 Posts

kcixcy

I am of Dominican descent and my husband and I had an Orthodox wedding, but I didn't convert. I want to learn about the religion more to better connect with him and his side of the family ... what types of things should I look at? I found this link online and found it informative. How should I learn about Greek Orthodox?

k_tsoukalas

In addition to reading up on it, I would go to church with your family and experience it for yourself. You can start talking with other Orthodox Christians, and maybe even talk to the pries.t If you are thinking of converting, you'll definitely want to start a dialog with the priest. He can recommend some books, answer your questions, etc.

A good introductory book on Orthodoxy has been written by Petros Botsis. The title is "What is Orthodoxy?". Check out also the Catechism of St Philaret Metropolitan of Moscow.

amygdalE

I am of Dominican descent and my husband and I had an Orthodox wedding, but I didn't convert. I want to learn about the religion more to better connect with him and his side of the family ... what types of things should I look at? I found this link online and found it informative. How should I learn about Greek Orthodox?

R

amygdalE

In addition to reading up on it, I would go to church with your family and experience it for yourself. You can start talking with other Orthodox Christians, and maybe even talk to the pries.t If you are thinking of converting, you'll definitely want to start a dialog with the priest. He can recommend some books, answer your questions, etc.
There are many articles online about Orthodox religion. As I love philosophical and theological disputations, I've loved ' is God essence or energies?' It states indirectly many tenets of the faith, such as the indwelling of the Spirit at baptism.

Learning about Greek Orthodoxy - resources?

I am on an active process to learn more about Greek Orthodoxy - it has been my project for the past year. I am having a hard time tracking down resources. Does anyone have an y books to recommend?

I have read so far:

Thinking Orthodox - Eugenia Constantinou

Orthodox Study Bible

Welcome to the Orthodox Church - Frederica Matthews Green

Thanks!

Marriage between cousins surprisingly common in Bronze Age Greece -study

Would Love to Experience the Greek Kalanda Tradition!

I would love to experience the Greek Kalanda tradition for myself in Greece. Does anyone have any advice on how to make that happen this year? I plan to go to Greece in a few weeks to visit some people and hope to see this first-hand. It seems like a really great tradition.

How Do Greeks Celebrate Ohi Day?

I looked up Ohi Day resentful because I learned it was occurring soon. I find the history so interesting! I know that Greeks have the day off. I am wondering how Greeks typically celebrate it? The events surrounding the day seemed to represent Greece's ability to stand up for what was right and to resist the Axis forces. It was the right thing to do to not let the Axis enter Greece easily so that they can have a strategic place for their troops.

To celebrate this important part of history today, though, what do the Greeks do today?

How do people in Greece exercise?

When I visit Greece, I am always amazed that I don't see fitness centers or gyms. How do people in Greece exercise? I did see a lot of workers and a runner or two on ny given day. What's strange is that I know plenty of people in Greece who actually go to the gym.

What is the general attitude for exercise and fitness in Greece? What do people do? I plan to visit Greece soon and I want to plan some workout time, and am just looking for ideas.
Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube