1 - 3 of 3 Posts

paharo45

I am an Armenian-American but I have a lot of Greek friends and I currently work at a Greek restaurant. I don't know how to cook the traditional Greek foods so I am really just waiting tables, but I am fascinated by the cuisine and want to work in the kitchen. I thought maybe if I studies Greek cooking on my own I would have a greater chance of joining the kitchen staff. It is my dream to be a chef, and this seems like a great place to start.

So, I thought I'd make a list of dishes to learn how to cook. Chime in if you think I missed anything:

- Tiropita (cheese pita)
- Spanakopita (spinach pita)
- Greek style rice pilaf
- Kapama (I just saw a recipe in another thread!)
- Greek lentil soup
- Stuffed grape leaves (I can make the Armenian version so I might start with this - it's a matter of getting the Greek flavors)
- Egg and Lemon soup
- Baklava and other Greek desserts - (I can make the Armenian version, I just need to get a handle on the Greek flavors - maybe using honey in the syrup instead of just sugar and water?)

What else do you guys think I should make?

k_tsoukalas

Hmmmm... it looks like you need to add Pastitsio and Moussaka to the list! They're both classic dishes. They're a bit involved with a lot of steps, but totally doable.

Reactions: paharo45

paharo45

Hmmmm... it looks like you need to add Pastitsio and Moussaka to the list! They're both classic dishes. They're a bit involved with a lot of steps, but totally doable.
Thank you! I looked at a pastitsio recipe recently and it doesn't look bad. Though, it looks like the sauce that goes on the top could be tricky.

Anyone have a good koulouri recipe?

Is making koulouri a simple matter of making a regular bread dough and then forming it into rings? I loooove koulouri when I go to Greece, and I am unfortunately not always able to get to Greece. I need a way to make this at home.

I love the type with the sesame seeds, and I also love the sweet ones. How do you make those? Can I make like a tsoureki but form it into instead?

Greek Thanksgiving "Stuffing" Recipe?

Thanksgiving is coming up, and I am trying to track down a recipe. I had a Greek friend verbally describe what this is, but I need a recipe to follow if someone can help me out. His family recipe involves:
  • Onion
  • Ground beef
  • Rice
  • Water or broth
  • All spice, cinnamon, oregano (I thought he said oregano but I am not 100%)
  • Roasted chestnuts
I think maybe I can guess that the onion is sautéed, the ground beef needs to be browned, the rice is stirred in and water or broth is added, and the chestnuts are roasted separately and stirred in at the end?

Thanks for your help! I am learning that Greek cooks have most of their recipes in their brains.

Tiropita Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Making tiropita at home is fun and a lot easier than it may seem - especially when doing it in a 9 x 13 pan. Although I have used different combinations of cheeses, the version I like the best includes imported feta and then a soft cheese like anthotyro if I can find it, cottage cheese if I can't. I live in the United States and there is a Greek store near me that has that cheese, but I find that cottage cheese is just as good. This recipe is light and flaky and makes a great appetizer, snack, light meal (when served with soup or salad) and I've even had it for breakfast!

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

tiropita-recipe.jpg

What if I don't have Greek yogurt?

I don't always have Greek yogurt on hand. I tend not to keep it in the fridge and only buy it when I need it. I do, however, tend to have plain, regular yogurt.

Can I substitute that in recipes if I make something Greek at the last minute?

I have heard of some people straining it through cheesecloth. If you guys recommend I do that, How long does it need to strain?

Lemon Potatoes Recipe from Cooking Greek Cookbook

Lemon potatoes is one of my all time favorite Greek dishes. I love the way the lemon tastes with potatoes, and it tends to pair well with just about every main course I could serve, but most especially poultry or seafood. Basically, if I've seasoned the meat I am serving with lemon, I tend to prefer these potatoes over other ways to prepare potatoes. The lemon also lightens up the dish, and the whole meal pairs well with salad or other vegetable side dishes. It's also easy to put together. I try to use fresh lemons because that elevates the dish to another level.

Check out the Cooking Greek Cookbook by Worldwide Greeks out on Hardcover, Paperback and eBook here!

greek-lemon-potatoes-recipe.jpg
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow Worldwide Greeks:
Facebook Twitter Instagram
TikTok Pinterest YouTube