1 - 4 of 4 Posts

francescool

Greeks are so open hearted and willing to help you out that you don't need to know many Greek words when visiting Greece, they will try to help you and you will usually find a common understanding. Some basic words that might be helpful to know are...

Thank you = efxaristo
Hello and goodbye = ya
How are you? = ti kaneis?
Good = kala
Where is... = pou eene

I suggest that you check out google translate or some YouTube videos so you can see how to actually pronounce some of these words. It is difficult to understand from the spelling as a non native speaker.

k_tsoukalas

This is perfect! It's nice to speak some Greek while in Greece, even if it is just a little bit.

ellinasgolfer0320

These are good, but for people who can't read Greek, they will still have trouble with this.

i hate to be "that person", but efxaristo is actually efharisto, and ti kaneis should be ti kanees for consistency so people can say/read them.

Reactions: blopez34

blopez34

These are good, but for people who can't read Greek, they will still have trouble with this.

i hate to be "that person", but efxaristo is actually efharisto, and ti kaneis should be ti kanees for consistency so people can say/read them.
You're right. Its very difficult to spell phonetically with English letters. I think only videos will do the trick .

The best fathers day gifts for your Greek dads, godfathers, uncles and grandfathers!

It's that time of year again! And so many people don't know what to get their father figures. Here is a list of a few examples that I have compiled and gifted throughout the years. Let me know what you think!

-A coffee cup set
-Tavli board
-Cigars
-Whiskey
-Soccer jersey
-Handwritten note
-Photo album
-Headphones
-A nice koboloi, you can find some great ones online or buy them from a Greek store. Here is an Esty shop that sells them and ships internationally https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/491...0OfCQpfZurgBrcOYXCnzO4xJ-nIWFNYxoCIXUQAvD_BwE

Listen to this beautiful song covered by Xaris Alexiou

Xaris Alexiou does a beautiful rendition of the song Barbagiannakakis. It seems that this video clips from a movie, so if anyone knows where it's from I would really appreciate it. I believe the song was originally written and sung by Andonis Diamantidis but I could be wrong, since many songs have just been passed around. This particular piece is a classic from Asia Minor.

What to do when you’re invited to a Greek persons house

For those who aren’t Greek, there is a lot of etiquette that goes behind visiting peoples houses. First off, it is considered very normal to invite someone over to your house. You don’t need to know them very well, and it is considered a kind gesture. When you get invited to someone’s house, expect them to offer you food, desserts, or drinks. It is also expected for you to bring something. This can be desserts or wine usually. After you leave their house, it is also customary for you to invite them to your own house.

What a Greek adult baptism looks like

Many adults will get baptized into the Greek Orthodox Church, whether for marriage reasons or because they discovered the religion and fell in love with it. The adult baptism process can be intimidating, and many don't know what the process actually entails. It is not very different from the baptism of a baby, since the process is religiously the same. Here is a video of the ceremony of an adult :)

When everyone has the same name, you gotta have some nicknames!

In Greece, many many people will have the same names. It is common to meet 4 Yannis, Yorgos, Konstantinas, and Marias in one day! Because of this, and because Greeks are affectionate, we like to have many nicknames for the ones we love. Check out this video which hilariously shows all of the different nicknames (serious and silly) that Greek people will call each other.

Share and discuss Greek traditions related to Greek weddings, christenings, dance & holidays!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter