1 - 2 of 2 Posts

xmelissaa

I hope you're all doing well! I've recently developed a deep appreciation for Greek cuisine and I'm eager to expand my cooking skills in this area. However, I'm realizing that I might be missing out on some traditional Greek cooking techniques that are essential for authentic dishes.

Could anyone kindly provide me with a list of cooking techniques commonly used in Greek cuisine? Whether it's grilling, baking, braising, or something more specific to Greek cooking, I'm eager to learn! Any insights, tips, or favorite methods would be greatly appreciated. Looking forward to your responses!

Here's what I can think of so far:

• Frying - usually in olive oil, right? Things like Greek fries and kourabedies come to mind is being fried.
  • Grilling - souvlaki, chicken, etc
  • Sandwiches - gyros, making "toast" that you see on menus in Greece
  • Braising - like braised lamb?
  • On the spot - Lamb, goat
  • Baking - desserts and savory dishes
What have I missed?

This looks right to me! I c an't think of anything else aside from "simmering" like for soups, etc.

Fresh Ingredients in Greek Cuisine?

I've recently developed a keen interest in Greek cuisine and I'm curious about the role of fresh ingredients in traditional Greek dishes. From what I've seen and read, it seems like fresh, high-quality ingredients are crucial for achieving the authentic flavors of Greek meals.

I have a feeling that it is the freshness of the ingredients that really makes Greek cuisine special. The problem is, I am trying to figure out how to recreate that in the United States where I live. I know I can have a garden, but besides that, what other advice do you have? I could always go to farmer's markets...

Summer fruits in Greek cuisine?

I'm curious about the use of summer fruits in Greek cuisine.

What traditional dishes or recipes incorporate these fruits? Are there specific fruits that are more commonly used during the summer months?

When in Greece, I see people eating fruit plain, making a spoon sweet or a marmalade, but that's about it. Oh, and I do see that they eat a salad with watermelon, feta, and onions. Is there anything else? What fruits are in season?

How to perfectly grill souvlaki?

I'm planning to grill some souvlaki this weekend, and I want to make sure I get it just right. I've heard that the key to perfect souvlaki is all in the marinade and grilling technique. Does anyone have any tried-and-true tips or recipes they'd be willing to share?

Specifically, I'm looking for advice on:
  • Marinade ingredients and timing: How long should I marinate the meat, and what are the essential ingredients?
  • Grilling technique: What's the best way to achieve that perfect char without drying out the meat?
  • Skewers: Any tips on the best type of skewers to use? Should I soak wooden ones?
  • Sides and sauces: What are your favorite accompaniments to serve with souvlaki?
I appreciate any help you can offer!

Recipe for Grilled Hallloumi Cheese

I love to grill and this recipe is simple and easy, and complements most grilled meals very well! I serve this with a squeeze of lemon.

Ingredients:

• 8 oz (225 g) halloumi cheese
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Optional: a pinch of chili flakes
  • Fresh herbs (parsley, mint, or dill) for garnish
  • Lemon wedges for serving
Instructions:

1. Prepare the Halloumi:
    • Remove the halloumi cheese from its packaging and pat it dry with a paper towel.
    • Cut the halloumi into 1/2-inch thick slices.
  2. Marinate the Cheese:
    • In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, dried oregano, lemon juice, and a sprinkle of black pepper (and chili flakes if using).
    • Brush both sides of the halloumi slices with the olive oil mixture. Let it sit for about 10 minutes to absorb the flavors.
  3. Preheat the Grill:
    • Preheat your grill to medium-high heat. If using a grill pan, heat it over medium-high heat until hot.
  4. Grill the Halloumi:
    • Place the marinated halloumi slices on the grill or grill pan.
    • Grill for about 2-3 minutes on each side, until the cheese is golden brown and has grill marks. Be careful not to overcook, as halloumi can become rubbery if left on the grill for too long.

Tips for working with phyllo?

I'm planning to make some traditional Greek dishes and I've decided to tackle working with phyllo dough for the first time. I've heard it's quite delicate and can be tricky to handle, so I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience.

What are the best tips for keeping the phyllo sheets from tearing? Should I work with them straight out of the fridge, or let them come to room temperature first? Any recommendations for the best brands to buy or tips for homemade phyllo? Also, how do you keep the dough from drying out while you're working with it?

I’m aiming to make spanakopita and baklava, so any specific tips for these recipes would be greatly appreciated.
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back