1 - 3 of 3 Posts

nm1999

I'm looking to explore the world of Greek cuisine and would love to get a list of famous Greek chefs. Who are the top chefs in Greece known for their exceptional culinary skills and contributions to Greek gastronomy?

I'd appreciate any recommendations, whether they are well-known for traditional dishes or modern takes on Greek food.

Thanks in advance! Content can be in Greek or English too.

Check out akis petrezikis. His website will appear in Greek, but there is an option to switch it to English.

Reactions: k_tsoukalas
Check out akis petrezikis. His website will appear in Greek, but there is an option to switch it to English.
I just checked it out - it's fantastic. Thanks for the recommendation!

Gluten Free Pastries in Greek Cooking?

I'm looking to make some traditional Greek pastries, but I need them to be gluten-free. Has anyone here tried this before? Specifically, I’m interested in making gluten-free versions of popular pastries like baklava, kourabiedes, or loukoumades.

Here are a few questions I have:
  1. Flour Alternatives: What gluten-free flour works best for these recipes? Almond flour, coconut flour, or a gluten-free baking mix?
  2. Texture and Taste: How do the gluten-free versions compare to the traditional ones in terms of texture and taste?
  3. Recipe Adjustments: Are there any specific adjustments or tips for adapting these recipes to be gluten-free without compromising too much on authenticity?
  4. Personal Favorites: Does anyone have a tried-and-true gluten-free Greek pastry recipe they would recommend?
I appreciate any advice or recipes you can share. This is a pretty tricky thing to navigate.

What is Greek Retsina Wine?

I'm intrigued by Greek wines and recently came across Retsina wine. Could anyone share insights into what Retsina wine is? I'm curious about its unique flavor profile, production methods, and any cultural significance it holds in Greece. How is it traditionally enjoyed, and are there specific dishes it pairs well with?

Moreover, I'd appreciate recommendations on notable brands or regions known for producing quality Retsina. If you have any personal experiences with Retsina or tips on where to purchase it outside of Greece, that would be fantastic too.

Advice for Making Taramasalata from Scratch?

I'm hoping to get some advice on making taramosalata from scratch. I've tried a few recipes, but I can't seem to get the texture and flavor just right. Here are a few specific questions I have:
  • Which type of roe should I use? I've seen recipes that use carp, cod, and even bottarga. Does it make a significant difference in taste and texture?
  • What's the best method for achieving a smooth consistency? My attempts often turn out a bit too lumpy or grainy.
  • Any tips on balancing the flavors? Some batches come out too salty or too bland. What's the ideal ratio of roe to other ingredients like lemon juice and olive oil?
  • Do you have any secret ingredients or techniques? I've read about people adding things like bread or potatoes. How do these additions affect the final product?
I'd love to hear your suggestions or see your tried-and-true recipes. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tips for working with phyllo?

I'm planning to make some traditional Greek dishes and I've decided to tackle working with phyllo dough for the first time. I've heard it's quite delicate and can be tricky to handle, so I was hoping to get some advice from those of you with experience.

What are the best tips for keeping the phyllo sheets from tearing? Should I work with them straight out of the fridge, or let them come to room temperature first? Any recommendations for the best brands to buy or tips for homemade phyllo? Also, how do you keep the dough from drying out while you're working with it?

I’m aiming to make spanakopita and baklava, so any specific tips for these recipes would be greatly appreciated.

Tips for Moussaka - Making it Authentic

I’m planning to try my hand at making moussaka this weekend, and I really want it to be as authentic as possible. I've done some research, but I would love to hear tips and advice from those who have experience making this delicious dish.

Here are a few specific questions I have:

• Ingredients: What are the essential ingredients for an authentic moussaka? Are there any specific brands or types you recommend?
  • Eggplant Preparation: What’s the best way to prepare the eggplant to ensure it’s not too bitter and has the perfect texture?
  • Meat Layer: I’ve seen recipes using both beef and lamb. Which one is more traditional, and do you have any tips for seasoning the meat?
  • Béchamel Sauce: This part seems tricky! Any advice on making a creamy, lump-free béchamel sauce?
  • Layering and Baking: How thick should the layers be, and how long should it bake to get that perfect golden top without overcooking?
Thanks in advance!
Sign up for a free account and share your thoughts, photos, questions about Greek food, travel and culture!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology.
Join Worldwide Greeks here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Back