1 - 2 of 2 Posts

francescool

This is one of Greeces most historic Eurovision wins! This song has lived on throughout the years, you can almost always hear it at least once when in Greece. Bravo to Sakis for keeping the culture alive and bringing such fame to Greece with this song. I look forward to many more wins to come for all of the up and coming Greek artists.

k_tsoukalas

This is one of Greeces most historic Eurovision wins! This song has lived on throughout the years, you can almost always hear it at least once when in Greece. Bravo to Sakis for keeping the culture alive and bringing such fame to Greece with this song. I look forward to many more wins to come for all of the up and coming Greek artists.
This was such a fun moment! Thank you for sharing this :)

Did you know that the marathon originated in ancient Greece?

The modern day marathon as we know it originated from the battle of the marathon. There was a battle between Greece and Persia, which was won by the Greeks. This video reveals how the name actually came to be! You will all be so shocked from this piece of Ancient Greek history!

These are the best history museums in Greece

Greece has some of the best museums of history museums in the world! And amazing opportunities to see history up close in archaic relics like the Parthenon and Epidavros. These are the best history museums in my opinion, but please let me know your favorites!

- Acropolis Museum
- Heraklion Archeological Museum
- Museum of Byzantine Culture
- National Archeological Museum

These are some of the most famous Greek historical figures

Because Greece has such a long history, there are so many historical figures to choose from.... from ancient Greeks to modern artists. This is my personal list, and please let me know what you think and add some of your favorites. Also, keep in mind that these are listed in no particular order!

-Plato
-Aristotle
-Kolokotronis
-Onassis
-Socrates
-Alexander the Great
-Kazantzakis
-Constantinos Cavafis
-Mixalis Theodorakis

This is what the traditional costumes of Greek soldiers look like

Traditional Greek soldiers are called "evzones" and were the soldiers who fought against the Ottoman occupation of Greece. Nowadays, Greek soldiers dress in modern military clothing with camouflage. Greek soldiers will dress in the evzone costume for special occasions and for guarding the tomb of the unknown soldier in Athens. This is what the traditional costume looks like

History-of-the-Traditional-Evzone-Uniform.jpg

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church

The history of the Greek Orthodox Church is so great and vast, it is even said that it was established while Jesus and his Apostles were alive. It was in 1054 when the Orthodox church split from the Catholic Church, this was when the Greek Orthodox Church became what we now know it as today. Though it is often contested by many, Greek Orthodox Christians believe that the Orthodox Church was the church established by Jesus Christ himself.
Share and discuss Greek history!

WorldwideGreeks.com is a free online forum community where people can discuss Greek food, travel, traditions, history and mythology. Join WorldwideGreeks.com here!

JOIN COMMUNITY FOR FREE

LOGIN TO YOUR ACCOUNT
Follow WorldwideGreeks.com:
Facebook Instagram Twitter